Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

November 14th, 2012 14:00

Avamar Backup/Restore

Hi Guys,

I am looking after Backup/Restore Activity of different clients. one of the client status comes as "Timed Out- End"

I am trouble shooting these errors from Activity Session Drill Down of the Status. The schedule time for Back up is from 8pm to 4am. and it shows elapsed time as 7hrs and 59mins   and comes with following error. Could you plz help me why its coming and what steps should i perform or request to service desk.

avtar Error <5244>: Unable to open directory "C:\DFSRoots\Huthwaite\Melbourne" (code 1920: The file cannot be accessed by the system).

2012-11-14 20:01:18 avtar Error <5244>: Unable to open directory "C:\DFSRoots\Huthwaite\Singapore" (code 1920: The file cannot be accessed by the system).

2012-11-14 20:01:18 avtar Error <5244>: Unable to open directory "C:\DFSRoots\Huthwaite\Sydney" (code 1920: The file cannot be accessed by the system).

and finally

2012-11-15 04:00:09 avtar Info <7202>: Backup CANCELLED, wrapping-up session with Server

thanks

70 Posts

November 14th, 2012 15:00

To me it looks like the backup is trying to follow the DFS links.  We have a similar setup and our C:\DFSRoots folder backs up fine.  We set the option in the dataset for File System Traversal to 'Do not traverse any mounts'

It could also be as simple as the user that the backup agent is running under not having access to the DFSRoots folders.

2K Posts

November 14th, 2012 15:00

This backup overran the configured backup window and was canceled by the Avamar server. When a backup is canceled in this way, the system creates a partial backup that will be retained for 7 days and can be used as a basis for the next backup (so the client doesn't have to re-send all the data, just make sure the files that were already backed up have not changed since the partial was created).

Has this client ever backed up successfully before or is this the initial backup? Do you see any messages about an undersized cache recorded in the logs?

498 Posts

November 20th, 2012 08:00

I so wish I could find the original doc I got this from so I could give cedit. ( funny how you can find it one day and not the next)  this is what I had put in my Change Control.

-- Windows Server VSS backup failed due to the soft links of DFS shares under C:\DFSRoots folder can not be accessed.

-- The folder C:\DFSRoots can not be excluded in backup even if configure it in the Avamar GUI - Dataset - Exclusions.

-- Below error shows when C:\DFSRoots has already been excluded in the Dataset;

Error log:

2012-09-23 18:24:03 avtar Error <5244>: Unable to open directory "c:\DFSRoots\Root\Apps" (code 1920: The file cannot be accessed by the system).

2012-09-23 18:24:03 avtar Error <5244>: Unable to open directory "c:\DFSRoots\Root\Dist" (code 1920: The file cannot be accessed by the system).

Cause

The VSS backup behavior is defined by Windows VSS component. Avamar GUI - Dataset - Exclusions will not take effect for matadata listed by VSS writers.

More information can be found in below webpage:

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc780819(v=WS.10).aspx

Resolution

-- Add C:\DFSRoots into Registry - FilesNotToBackup setting.

1) Make a copy to backup the registry: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\BackupRestore\FilesNotToBackup

2) Add new Multi-String value

Name: DFSRoots

Value: C:\DFSRoots\ */s

-- Avamar VSS backup will read the Exclusions setting in 'FilesNotToBackup' during backup job running.

-- The C:\DFSRoots folder can be excluded.

No Events found!