Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

A

May 8th, 2017 07:00

Avamar Virtual Edition on vmware

Hello All,

As per document, AVE is supported as thick provisioning only on vmware.

However, is this applicable also, if ALL backups are going to data domain?

i.e. can AVE deployed as thin provisioning in case internal GSAN is not used?

May 8th, 2017 13:00

The AVE should still be provisioned as per the instructions. 

Although with AVE / DD integrated systems the bulk of data will be sent to DataDomain the AVE's GSAN is still used for storing backup metadata.

If considering thin provisioning to minimise space consumption you could request help from your DellEMC account team to determine the smallest sized AVE to meet your needs.

12 Posts

May 11th, 2017 05:00

Thanks nr for your reply.

But in case AVE is integrated with DD:

1- the gsan doesn't need a 3 TB disks to store the metadata (AVE 2 TB edition in my case)

2- Also, the performance of thick provisioned disks is not a mandatory here.

I think this requirement should be revised.

May 11th, 2017 23:00

A 2TB AVE requires 3TB of disks - You can read more about why in the following article in the section labelled "How is data stored in the data partitions?"

• KB 457224  - (Customer) Avamar User and OS Capacity Management

Regarding the performance requirement, I wasn't part of the original QA team and haven't personally stress tested the behaviour of a full capacity AVE undergoing maintenance whilst heavily loaded with other tasks so I cannot comment on whether these guidelines are conservative but, since they're documented in the guide, they are required from a supportability standpoint.  Remember, not every customer is going to be using identically performing storage on which to build their AVE systems.

If you need to use a smaller capacity AVE the local DellEMC team can advise on just how small an AVE you need in order to comfortably store sufficient metadata for DataDomain backups.

No Events found!