Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

February 2nd, 2010 19:00

Avamar Wildcard Search V5.0

Is there a way to search for a files in Avamar using wildcard or whole name. IE *file1* or file1.doc.

I'm not talking about browsing to find a file.

If you dont know the path and want to just do a wild card search or a full name I cant see a way to do it when restoring.

Cheers

Joe

February 2nd, 2010 20:00

Joe,

I have worked on this in Brisbane and using the avtar command you can search for files in a backup set.I have three examples below:

# Search for file containing 'report' for client acd-fls-02

avtar --list --id=MCUser --password=MCUser1 --account=/QPS/acd-fls-02.prds.qldpol |grep report*

# Search for file containing 'report' for client acd-fls-02, within a specifc backup as the previous example will take time to run (searches all backups for that client)

avtar --list --id=MCUser --password=MCUser1 --account=/QPS/acd-fls-02.prds.qldpol --label=QPS_Daily_Default-QPS_Windows_Fileservers-126510 |grep report*

# This example is specific to your grid, i.e. NCR rather than QPS

avtar --list --id=MCUser --password=MCUser1 --account=/NCR/ |grep report*

You can add more specific flags to the avtar command (See the Technical Addendum, page 184), like --after or --before and of course you can tailor your grep command to find what your looking for Once you have found the file, you will have the path to restore from and can use this in the Avamar Administrator to restore the file,

Thanks

Richard

1 Message

April 19th, 2010 04:00

I can't belive, there is no possibility to search with wildecards in the avamar GUI (or in any GUI of the AVAMAR-System).

For a enterprise backupsolution it's a "must". There are some other features, we miss in AVAMAR (and are normale features in other backupsolutions): Parallel jobexecution on a client, exclusions per client (not only per dataset), client-errors in the management GUI (not only a message "client log should be examined"), flexibel schedules (not only every full hour)...

April 19th, 2010 05:00

The product management team would be very interested to hear of any features which you would like to see in Avamar

Powerlink > Support > Request Support > Request a Product Enhancement >

3 Posts

July 21st, 2010 11:00

We just discovered this feature was missing from Avamar as well.  Frankly I was very surprised.

I've put in a feature request through PowerLink and  hopefully everyone else who would find this useful will too.

11 Posts

September 28th, 2011 10:00

Does anyone know if this has been fixed or supplied in Avamar 6.0?  I'm still running 5.0, and my company isn't interested in upgrading unless there is compelling reason to.  If this is available in 6.0, then I could make a case for upgrading.

Also, using the instructions provided by nickless_richard above, I can only get Avamar to search one backup at a time, even without the --label argument, and providing both the --before and --after to give a date range.  Is there something I'm missing to get it to search multiple backups at once?

49 Posts

October 3rd, 2013 15:00

Just to update this thread. It has not been added to 6.0 or 7.0.

However, you can perform the follow search against a single client and it will search for all backups within the dates specified.

avtar --list --account=/clients/ --after="2012-09-01 00:00:01" --before="2013-01-31 23:59:59" --verbose | grep " "

498 Posts

October 8th, 2013 08:00

Just FYI you can do exclusions per client -

you have to create the avtar.cmd file on the client and put your exclusions there - you don't put it in  gui.

example for you:

windows /avs/var/avtar.cmd

unix /avamar/var/avtar.cmd

--exclude=

if space use quotes

--exclude:"C:\My Documents"

backup trash dir but exclude items in dir

--exclude=C:\trash\*

see manual for more examples.

as to the wild card - I so agree and cannot belive it is not an option, there are so many places it would be helpfull - like in activity monitor.

498 Posts

October 8th, 2013 08:00

as to flexible schedules

you know you can type in that field and change 7:00 to 7:15

No Events found!