Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

March 14th, 2013 09:00

Avamar backup completes with exception: HomeBase Embedded is not installed.

I see where this message is associated to the system state backup. i am not sure why and what to do about removing.  I am not familuar with homebase

2K Posts

March 14th, 2013 10:00

There is a dropdown in the dataset options for Windows Filesystem that controls whether or not to try to use HomeBase Embedded. In the Avamar 6.1 GUI, the dropdown is labeled "Avamar Server Restore Option (HBE)". Change this dropdown from enabled to disabled and the error should no longer appear.

124 Posts

March 14th, 2013 11:00

Thank you!

Thank you,

Debbie

2K Posts

March 14th, 2013 11:00

You're very welcome!

2K Posts

March 14th, 2013 12:00

Yes, that's correct. The Windows VSS plugin is for backing up system state. The System State checkbox you see in the regular Windows Filesystem dataset options is for legacy system state backups using ntbackup.

124 Posts

March 14th, 2013 12:00

May I bother you with another question.

If in a windows dataset def, I include the Windows VSS and Windows file systems as source data, doesn’t the VSS do the system state.

Thank you,

Debbie

2K Posts

March 14th, 2013 13:00

Unfortunately the answer for this is "it depends".

If both plug-ins are in the same dataset, you can't guarantee the order in which they will start. If one plug-in completes but the backup runs over its window and gets killed while the second backup is running, you don't know whether it will be the file system backup or the system state backup that finishes (and is therefore restorable). This won't matter for most clients but it might matter for some.

On the flipside, having separate datasets introduces a certain amount of administrative overhead.

124 Posts

March 14th, 2013 13:00

Sorry… so is it best practice to do windows File system AND Windows VSS in the same dataset ? we have some fairly large Filesystem backups

Thank you,

Debbie

No Events found!