Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

January 27th, 2015 19:00

Avamar backup for vmware ESXi

Hi

We're looking for option how can we backup VMware ESXi using Avamar 7.0. Please suggest

Thanks

77 Posts

January 28th, 2015 03:00

you might want to be a little more specific. This guide should help you narrow down your requirements

https://support.emc.com/docu48233_Avamar_7.0_for_VMware_User_Guide.pdf?language=en_US

62 Posts

January 28th, 2015 18:00

Thanks for reply.

Can we do agent-based backup for ESX host ?

No need to backup virtual machines on that esx as vm's are already configured for backups using agent based .

77 Posts

January 29th, 2015 00:00

I don't know of a way. But I'm eager to learn if there is any.

77 Posts

January 29th, 2015 00:00

you can protect the vcenter infra though and there is one more thread discussing the same

https://community.emc.com/message/861244?et=watches.email.thread#861244

498 Posts

January 29th, 2015 08:00

in the Avamar VMware manual Mentioned by Nayaks

there is a section called

backing up the vCenter management infrastructure

read that it might be what you are looking for

77 Posts

February 4th, 2015 20:00

Sorry! I didn't get that. Are you saying that there is a way to  backup the ESXi hosts and there is an agent avilable for that ? If yes, please share the details.

62 Posts

February 4th, 2015 20:00

Thanks for help

I see agent based backup is the only way to backup esx hosts.

2K Posts

February 5th, 2015 08:00

I'm not sure I understand why you would want to do this. If you're already protecting your vCenter data and the VMs, what value is there in backing up the hosts themselves?

62 Posts

February 5th, 2015 18:00

Not actually .We are not backing up vcenter server or environment. We're just doing agent based backups for vm's .

So looking for option if we can do any agent based backup for ESX host itself (from admin guide,I see way for image level backup )

498 Posts

February 5th, 2015 19:00

so we told you how to backup the Vcenter infrastructure (follow the instructions in the manual)

why not do that?  Why do you insist on doing something else

(and the agent backup mentioned was by installing avamar on a server and backing it up via the manual best practice - NO extra 'agent' to install)

62 Posts

February 8th, 2015 18:00

J.H. - end user I'm not insisting on doing something else.Just finding options and I didn't say that I'm not going to follow the option suggested .

Thanks all

60 Posts

February 9th, 2015 11:00

Maybe I don't completely understand the question but why would you want to backup the vmware host?  Do you actually mean to say backup the VMs on the host?  Its my understanding that in 7.1 you can put a proxy on any host and back it up without vCenter (you would have to have 1 proxy per host) but I have never set that up so I don't know how well it works.

498 Posts

February 10th, 2015 07:00

Sconstable - not quite right.

One, you don't put a proxy on a host, you make a proxy (it is a Linux server) in Vcenter and add to avamar.

then instead of installing an agent on each and EVERY vm...

you Connect Avamar and VCenter  and you backup the VM's via the proxies.

(This is nice in that you do not need to install Avamar on all the servers, it puts less of a overhead on the vm while it is being backed up because it makes a snapshot of the VMDK )

This also allows you to easily restore a whole vm or clone a new one from the backup.

Also you do NOT need 1 proxy per host, depending on the version of Avamar you are running each proxy can backup 6 vm's at a time.  I only have 3 proxies for about 350 vm's.  The smaller you backup window up and the more vm's you have the more proxies you would need.

So backup the Vm's as a VMDK via a proxy, and then backup the VM environment as specified in the manual and you are covered.

60 Posts

February 11th, 2015 16:00

Thanks JH.

I was not trying to explain how avamar worked in most standard deployments, I have done several and what you describe is the way it should be done.

The original post is asking a very specific question and I am not sure if they even have vcenter.  So I was trying to get some idea on what they are actually trying to do there.

No Events found!