Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

November 11th, 2010 13:00

Avamar v5 SP2 Reporting Question

I am a little confused maybe the Avamar forums can help me. I have a full 16x 1TB storage node grid. I use it as a offering to my data center customers. I am having an issue understanding the usage.

My current stats

Total capacity 16.1 TB
Server utilization 56.2%
Bytes protected 14.4 TB

Does bytes protected mean phiscal disk space used? If so how to if find the differnce in between disk spaced used and bytes protected. The current number for bytes protected match the report I can run from the admin console.

39 Posts

November 11th, 2010 16:00

"Bytes protected" is the total amount of client data in bytes that has been backed up (protected) on the server.

If you backup a laptop with 40 GB of data on Nov.1st, Nov. 2rd 80GB,Nov. 3th 60GB, the entire bytes protected for this client is the maximum data backup which is 80GB. FYI.

Regards,

Charles

4 Posts

November 11th, 2010 19:00

Thank for that answer Charls.

I think understand what you are saying but what if using your example I wanted to find out how much real disk space that client is taking up in the Avamar grid. What other info would I need to calculate that per client?

207 Posts

November 12th, 2010 10:00

In Avamar all the files are first chuncked into pieces and all the invidual chuncks are backed up, All the chuncks are unique to each other.

Whenever a client is backed up its not necessary it will backup all the files or chuncks, there might be a similar chunck present on the server which will be skipped during backup put a pointer will be created for that chuck which refers to some other client.

So logically its not possible to find out how much space a specific client takes on the Avamar Server

Regards

Amol Powar

No Events found!