Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

April 23rd, 2015 04:00

Restoring the SQL database to different server

Hi All,

we are using DDBOOST feature for doing the backups for SQL database directly to DD. I am aware of restoring the DB's to different instance within the same server. DBA wants to restore the particular DB to different server for testing purpose. Is that possible here?

If so please let me know the same.

Thank you in advance..

17 Posts

April 25th, 2015 20:00

Yes, it is possible to restore to an alternate server using DDBMA. You must have the DDBMA application installed on the alternate server and run the restore from that server using the command line. This cannot be done using the SSMS plugin.

I have written some blog posts and a T-SQL scripting toolkit which helps DBA's to automate DDBMA for SQL and complete the operation you need as well as other advanced functionality. Please see the following links.

Data Domain Boost for SQL – Deployment Planning Considerations for DBA's - David Muegge's Blog

SQL Server Data Domain Boost Scripting Toolkit

dmuegge/ddb-sql-toolkit · GitHub

I hope this helps.

Regards,

Dave

87 Posts

April 23rd, 2015 07:00

Hi Menta,

If it is possible to recover a database to a different server

dowlonad the procedure.

Recuperacion Respaldo Networker - GUI - Linea Comando - MSSQL1.doc - Google Drive

I hope that helps.

Regards,

Elvin...

1 Attachment

82 Posts

April 23rd, 2015 19:00

Hi Elvin- thank you. But we don't have networker here. We use DDboost for SQL.(DDBMA).

87 Posts

April 24th, 2015 13:00

Hi Menta,

If it is possible to recover a database to a different server.

Checking the KB WITH DDBMDA

https://support.emc.com/kb/197820

I hope that helps.

Regards,

Elvin...

82 Posts

April 26th, 2015 20:00

Dave --- Thank you very much. Will execute this in my test env. and let you know if I have any issues.

1 Message

March 6th, 2016 02:00

Dear D

Just a question on networker and SQL server restores. When you run a restore for data base XYZ to a new location, does networker communicate with the database or only with the backup tapes?

Now if it does communicate with the database during the restore if we stop the restore won't the database hang and get stuck in RESTORING mode?

Kindly advise

Thanks

Kal

2K Posts

March 6th, 2016 17:00

I would recommend that you make a new post for this question in the NetWorker Support Forum.

2 Intern

• 

14.3K Posts

March 7th, 2016 07:00

It has to communicate because if you restore it somewhere first stage is to (re)create structure as it was at the time of backup.  And then data is restored back in. If you stop it, you stop it.  If you lost connection or something similar happened that would cause restoring mode (eg. restore with no recovery can trigger that) or get it as explain in SQL server databases stuck in restoring state.

No Events found!