Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

January 26th, 2010 07:00

SQL2008 redirected restore fails if addtnl. Filegroups exist on a db

Hi community

we are experiencing the following issue:

A redirected SQL2008 restore with Avamar V5 fails if there are additional Filegroups (not just PRIMARY) defined on a database. The workorder fails with the following error:

2010-01-26 15:12:23 avsql Error <9022>: sqlconnectimpl_smo::execute Microsoft.SqlServer.Management.Common.ExecutionFailureException: An exception occurred while executing a Transact-SQL statement or batch. ---> System.Data.SqlClient.SqlException: Logical file 'dbname_original-2dbname_original' is not part of database 'dbname_new'. Use RESTORE FILELISTONLY to list the logical file names.

RESTORE DATABASE is terminating abnormally.

Some additional infos:

- It doesn't matter which type of redirected restore (same server, different server) is used, the error message is always the same.

- If we create a new db using the new name along with the old logical names in the filegroup and do a restore (with the overwrite option set), the job fails as well with the same error message.

- Redirected restores of db's that have just the default PRIMARY Filegroup configured work without problems.

- Basic restores (without redirection) of db's that have more than just the PRIMARY Filegroup defined work without problems.

Has anyone experienced this behaviour as well? Are there any known workarounds I could try?

My 1st goal is to restore a (rather large) live db onto a test environment and it should have then a different name than on the source server.

The 2nd goal is to restore the live db onto the same server, but with a different name.

Thanks for reading & any hints that point me in the right direction. I will probably also open an SR on this topic.

Patric

13 Posts

March 31st, 2010 11:00

This is a known issue with a redirected restore.  If multiple filegroups are configured, the restore will fail.  There is an RFE created to address this issue

HiH

Ewa

No Events found!