Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

December 9th, 2013 13:00

System State Backup for Windows 2003/2008/2012

Hello,

I know when a system state backup is initiated on the client, the .bkf file is left in the folder of the Avamar installation (whether it fails or not).

2 questions:

-Why does this happen? Specifically, why does it need to stay on the drive after a backup has occurred (references to EMC documentation would be much appreciated since others want to know).

-Is there an option to remove after successful backup?

Running avamar 6.1

Thanks

Trent

50 Posts

December 9th, 2013 21:00

I could find the details or usage of the file which I'm sure you've seen already in the technical addendum under avtar, however even I'd like to find out if there is a way to delete this file after the backup, or does it get overwritten during the next backup. Not sure at the moment but will try to get an answer.

6 Posts

December 10th, 2013 06:00

I understand the function of the system state backup for DR, but I am confused as to why avtar leaves it there. Other backup applications typically don't leave these large files sitting around.

2K Posts

December 10th, 2013 08:00

The ntbackup .bkf file will only be created during Windows Server 2003 legacy system state backups. The VSS System State plug-in should be used on newer versions of Windows.

If you need to remove the .bkf file after a successful backup, I'd recommend using a post-script to remove it. You can find more information on configuring post-scripts in the EMC Avamar 6.1 for Windows Server User Guide. In REV 03 of the document, this information can be found on page 180.

6 Posts

December 10th, 2013 08:00

Thanks for the information; I will look into using those scripts to remove the file. I was looking for an excerpt from some documentation that I can provide to customer who inquires why they have an extra 2-6GB laying around after backup.

Thanks,

Trent

No Events found!