Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

P

November 6th, 2012 10:00

Use of wildcard in Exchange VSS datasets

Hi all,

Can anyone offer some advice. We are moving our exchange 2007 backups to Avamar (previously done with horrible snapshot system using recovery manager). As part of the move we have discovered with our hosted database sizes we are pushing the limit of what can be in a VSS snapshot if we do all 15 storage groups at once (~1TB of MDB data + logs).

To break this up, what I wanted to do is create multiple datasets with say 5 SGs (there is only 1 DB per SG) in each and then configure these to run a 3 hour intervals. I currently have 6 mailbox clusters and the SG naming across all of them follows the below convention

EMCC0[clusternumber]SG[groupnumber] - e.g EMCC01SG01 or EMCC05SG15

So what I wanted to do is build 3 datasets that I can add each of the clusters to that uses wildcards where the [clusternumber] entry should be. I would hope that the entry in the datasets should look like the following

Dataset 1 (SG01-05)

Exchange VSS Information Store\EMCC0*SG01

Exchange VSS Information Store\EMCC0*SG02

Exchange VSS Information Store\EMCC0*SG03

Exchange VSS Information Store\EMCC0*SG04

Exchange VSS Information Store\EMCC0*SG05

Dataset 2 (SG06-10)

Exchange VSS Information Store\EMCC0*SG06

Exchange VSS Information Store\EMCC0*SG07

Exchange VSS Information Store\EMCC0*SG08

Exchange VSS Information Store\EMCC0*SG09

Exchange VSS Information Store\EMCC0*SG10

Dataset 3 (SG11-SG15)

Exchange VSS Information Store\EMCC0*SG11

Exchange VSS Information Store\EMCC0*SG12

Exchange VSS Information Store\EMCC0*SG13

Exchange VSS Information Store\EMCC0*SG14

Exchange VSS Information Store\EMCC0*SG15

Using the above, I should be able to add each cluster into 3 different policies using the 3 datasets and it would backup the right 5 SGs from each one.....

I will hopefully 'test' this tomorrow but when we only have a production cluster to be doing testing on I would like to have a pretty good feeling its going to work before trying it out.

Any comments greatly appreciated.

307 Posts

November 8th, 2012 02:00

Sorry, I think we can't use wildcards in the source data of the dataset.

No Events found!