Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

November 25th, 2013 11:00

Will NDMP Accelerator Gen3 on 6.1 work with Avamar 7.0 Gen4S

I have an Avamar Gen3  system, 3 node grid on 6.1.1-87 with an NDMP accelerator on Gen3. Customer wants to add another single node 7.8TB Gen4S system on version 7.0 to take some of the load off the existing system. They also want to repurpose the existing NDMP accelerator node to the new 7.0 Gen4S Single node. Can this be done without issues?

Community Manager

• 

7.1K Posts

November 26th, 2013 23:00

Hey,

I'm not sure, but in my opinion, it may possible to use Avamar 6.1 accelerator gen3 to backup Avamar server 7.0 Gen4S.

Avamar 7.0 NDMP Accelerator User Guide has following contents on page 49.

Running a newer later accelerator with a older Avamar server

If you upgrade accelerator software to a newer version, but do not also upgrade the Avamar server software to the same version, you must manually update the avtar binary on the Avamar server utility node. Otherwise, you will not be able to continue backing up to the older Avamar server.

I think in other words, it means avtar binary version needs to be same or higher than accelerator software version at least. Absolutely, the avtar binary of Avamar server 7.0 is higher than Avamar 6.1 accelerator software in your environment. It meets the requirement. In addition, I cannot find any documentation said accelerator gen3 cannot backup Avamar server 7.0. So, I think you can to try first.

Hope this helps.

355 Posts

November 26th, 2013 04:00

Hello,

Please go through following document. I hope it will help you.

Page number - 48

https://support.emc.com/docu48234_Avamar-7.0-NDMP-Accelerator-User-Guide.pdf?language=en_US

Regards,

Pawan Kumawat

17 Posts

November 27th, 2013 02:00

Hi Leo, I think I follow the same pattern of thinking as you. I had planned to try it first and if it does not work, to upgrade to the version of 7.0 NDMP accelerator software. I also read the documentation and it does not indicate there should be an issue. But I was not sure. I hope it is true, because I have to travel 7 hours to perform this work. Once I upgrade it, I understand it will not work with version 6.1, so there is no plan to reverse this.

But thank you very much for researching this also. I will be trying this on December 2nd, 2013.

Just as a side thought, is there a way to re-kick the accelerator node with SUSE Linux if something should go wrong in this process? Thanks......

2K Posts

November 27th, 2013 08:00

I don't foresee any client compatibility issues with this. Avamar server version 7 is backward compatible with 6.1 clients including NDMP clients (though you wouldn't get any of the new features).

One important note -- all Gen3 systems use the RHEL 4u8 kickstart. Don't try to use the SLES kickstart on a Gen3 node of any type.

Community Manager

• 

7.1K Posts

November 27th, 2013 22:00

Hey Marker,

Hope you can do it successfully.

And Ian mentioned "all Gen3 systems use the RHEL 4u8 kickstart. Don't try to use the SLES kickstart on a Gen3 node of any type" is very important information. You need to pay attention to it.

17 Posts

November 27th, 2013 22:00

Thanks Leo. I am hoping I will not have to re image the accelerator, but if I do, where on EMC's site is the kickstart image available. I am a partner.

2K Posts

November 28th, 2013 06:00

You can find the complete re-kick procedure including the download links in the Miscellaneous Procedures section of the Procedure Generator.

17 Posts

November 28th, 2013 21:00

Thanks Ian.

2K Posts

November 29th, 2013 05:00

My pleasure!

Community Manager

• 

7.1K Posts

December 2nd, 2013 17:00

OK. Looking for ward to your feedback.

Community Manager

• 

7.1K Posts

Hey Marker,

How is the issue? Did you succeed?

17 Posts

I will be performing a partial replication of NDMP data tomorrow then driving with it to the site where the NDMP node is located and register it to the new 7.8tb node.

17 Posts

December 11th, 2013 16:00

Leo, I successfully replicated the NDMP only data to the new Gen4s single node. This took 3 days. I then shut it down gracefully and transported it to a secondary site where the NDMP node is located. In setting up the single node I got into a conversation with customer wanting to re-ip the Avamar node to an IP in the vlan at the secondary site. Apparently he customer did not understand when we had a previous conversation that this was not easy to do. So I got delayed again. Needless to say I had to go through the re-ip process, which was successful. Thank goodness. I worked on registering the NDMP node with the ne Avamar node. It actually registered in the Linux shell on the client, but Avamar Administrator thought it was not. Tried several things but could not get it to work. With the help of support, we did have to edit the host file on the ndmp node to see the new avamar node and also run through the avsetupndmp process again with the password for the celerra. We had to remove it from the list and add it back to the list then run avregister and there it worked. I can see all the backups now and we performed a test backup successfully.  I did not have to upgrade the client because it was only one version back from Avamar 7.0. I will leave it this way for now for the reason if the customer decides to by some strange reason want to move it back to the 6.1 environment. I realize that once it becomes two versions behind it will require upgrading, But this process worked for me and thanks to everyone on this thread with helping to make this possible.

Community Manager

• 

7.1K Posts

December 11th, 2013 17:00

Hey Marker,

Very good news and glad to hear that. Congratulations you have finished a large and difficult project successfully. I also very happy to hear the news. Also thank you for sharing a good case to us~~

No Events found!