Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

January 17th, 2018 13:00

exclude all drives/mounts then include specifics

For database servers there are only a few drive letters or mounts that I want to backup.  I don't want to have a custom dataset for each server and I don't want to have a custom avtar.cmd file on each server.  For linux/unix hosts I want to have a dataset that excludes all mounts, then includes /, /boot, /home for example.  For windows I want to have c: drive only.  I've played with the syntax but can't find the magic incantation to exclude all drives or mount points.  Am I asking too much or is this possible?

2 Intern

• 

132 Posts

January 18th, 2018 09:00

For any server and OS where you "know" that a drive or file system will be present, you can just include that info in your dataset source data field.

For Windows, don't use "all drives" - just specify that you want "C:"

For Unix/Linux, don't use "all filesystems" - just specify " / ", " /home ", etc.

That should work - the Avamar work order will send that info to whatever servers are specified in the respective group/policy, and if those servers have C: drives, that is what will get backed up, and only that (or if they are Unix/Linux, if they have " / " and " /home ", those are the only filesystems that will get backed up).

Does that help?

5 Posts

January 18th, 2018 09:00

Thank you!  Was so focused on doing it the way I thought it should be done I couldn't see it staring me in the face.  Tested it and it works. 

5 Posts

January 19th, 2018 07:00

It is also necessary on unix systems to go to the options page of the dataset and change File System Traversal to "Do no traverse any mounts".  Otherwise if you include root you get all the mount points under it.

No Events found!