Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

November 3rd, 2008 02:00

SAN Storage slow transfer file

I'm using Blade server M600, chassis m1000e, I was craete new storage at SAN storage FC CX3-40 , after i format partition it was pass, and i was create 1 folder size 177GB . After that i copy that folder at same place.The process very slow and take more 6 hours, should i configure agent.config at nevisphere first? or should i make zoning at SAN switch? anybody can help me.........pls

112 Posts

November 4th, 2008 07:00

Amieer,

You should Zone your fibre switch and configure the agent.config on the local navi agent. Another key thing to do is to check the compatability list on the emc powerlink site to find out what the correct driver is for your HBA that you are using. Then download and install the correct driver version.

It is possible that the LUN was still initializing in the background when you did the copy? Is it still slow now?

Additionally - what RAID type and number of disks?

Thanks,
Todd

4 Posts

November 4th, 2008 20:00

Do you mean I should patch the fiber from blade chassis to SAN Switch? and make a new zone? because for right now, I was patch fibre direct from Chassis to CX3-40. I using raid 5 and use 8 disk. For your info BLade Chassis have their own swicth, it's possible to configure make zoning or zoning only can create at SAN swicth?

112 Posts

November 5th, 2008 09:00

It is a best practice to use zoning at fibre channel switch level regardless of how many hosts and storage arrays your have. Each zone should have a single initiator and all the targets. The initiator is an HBA port on the blade server and the targets are the fibre ports on the CX3-40. The zoning should be done on the fibre switches that are in the M1000e chassis. I assume that you have the broacade 4424 switches and not the emulex passthroughs. If you have the passthrough modules, then no zoning can be done because they aren't switches.

Thanks,
Todd

4 Posts

November 5th, 2008 17:00

"It is a best practice to use zoning at fibre channel switch level regardless of how many hosts and storage arrays your have. Each zone should have a single initiator and all the targets. The initiator is an HBA port on the blade server and the targets are the fibre ports on the CX3-40. The zoning should be done on the fibre switches that are in the M1000e chassis. I assume that you have the broacade 4424 switches and not the emulex passthroughs. If you have the passthrough modules, then no zoning can be done because they aren't switches.

Thanks,
Todd"
Yes.. M1000e use brocade 442 switches , but how i can configure zoning on that switch?

112 Posts

November 6th, 2008 08:00

First you will need to set an IP address for management of the switch. Then you will be able to use the web based managment tool to configure the zoning. This quick start guide will walk you through how to set the IP for the brocade 4424 - http://support.dell.com/support/edocs/systems/pem905/multilang/vendordocs/Brocade4424QSG.pdf

There is also the 10g Blades Cookbook here on DellTechCenter that has a condesed version of how to setup the Brocade 4424 - http://www.delltechcenter.com/page/10G+Blades+Cookbook

Thanks,
Todd
No Events found!