Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

June 26th, 2012 06:00

question on options for I/O Modules

Hi,

I'm new to Dell blades. We received a Dell M1000e chassis with 8 M600 blades which I'm setting up for a test environment.

I have some doubts about my options for the I/O modules. The chassis came with 3 I/O modules:
- Two 16-port Ethernet passthrough Modules
- One M6220 Ethernet switch with only the 4 Gb Ethernet ports (which are fixed on the module)

As far as I can see none of the blades have a mezzanine card installed.

1. What are my options? Where should all the I/O modules go?

2. Can I put the passthrough modules in A1 and A2 and the switch in B1 or do I need a mezzanine card then in each blade?

3. Is there any possibility with this config to use the M6220 switch to provide iSCSI access to all of the blades through this M6220 switch?

4. What would you advice to do with this config?

Kind Regards,

Gert

2 Posts

July 4th, 2012 23:00

Please refer to my response(s) below:

1. What are my options?

Your options:

Ethernet connectivity is option 1. Empty slots if populated with Eth mezz cards then you can have additional eth connectivity across Fabric B and Fabric C which is option 2.

Where should all the I/O modules go?

All the I/O Modules will be placed onto the I/O slots on the rear of the chassis.

2. Can I put the passthrough modules in A1 and A2 and the switch in B1 or do I need a mezzanine card then in each blade?

No problem if you put the pass through modules in A1 and A2. however, I prefer M6220 for A and A2. the other I/O modules will only operate when you have corresponding mezz cards  in your m600. So if you have none, i suggest you buy them. 

Kind regards,

Maksud

July 5th, 2012 12:00

Hello Gert,

The PDF document below will help in understanding some of your options.

http://www.dell.com/downloads/global/products/pedge/en/blade_io_solutions_guide_v1.2_jn.pdf

I/O modules Slot A (1 or 2) is for linking to the blades internal NDC card. I/O Modules B (1 or 2) and C (1 or 2) is for Mezz cards that are installed in the corresponding B or C slot in the blade.

You could use the Passthourghs in A1 and A2 for a redundant setup or you could just use the 6220 in slot A1. This just depends on how your external network is setup.

The 6220 has 16 internal ports so it will link up with 16 blades.

Yes, the M6220 supports iSCSI passthrough.

Thanks...Corey

No Events found!