Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

October 30th, 2009 02:00

CX3-20 CRU Powered Down

I got several alarms last night from a customers CX3-20 with this text:
Time Stamp 10/30/09 02:49:20 Event Number a07 Severity Critical Error Host EMC_CX3B Storage Array CKXXXXXXXXX145 SPB Device Enclosure 3 Disk 0 Description CRU Powered Down

The same repeated for all disks at every enclosure.

First question: What is the CRU?
Second Question: Is this an informative alarm, or an actual failure?

The array is working properly, no fault log was collected, no physicall issues, and the systems administrator said that no performance issues nor host failure was detected.

Ideas?

October 30th, 2009 02:00

Hi Jose,

First question: What is the CRU?
CRU: Customer Replacable Unit,(mostly a disk, since the location is for the disk...Enclosure 3 Disk 0 )

Second Question: Is this an informative alarm, or an actual failure?

A07: is always a disk failure indication

I will take this seriously as this is occuring on all fist drives of enclosure...

Mostly a fault with the Bus or SP/calbe rather than all the frist drives..

Might be the port is going up/down ... we call this a loop issue

Please log a call to EMC ASAP!!! as this is nota fake error as the date is also current one....

Regards,
Vivek

22 Posts

October 30th, 2009 05:00

Thanks. I will open a service request to verify the state of the array now. I just didn't wanted to open a SR with nothing failed.

I'll post later any actions to be taken.

4.5K Posts

October 30th, 2009 09:00

You can also log into Navisphere and check the fault status of the array - this will let you know if there is an on-going error or if this was a reboot - if all the disks generated the message, it would imply an array issue as opposed to a single disk failure.

glen

November 9th, 2009 05:00

Hi Jose,

Can u share ur experience on this issue.

Regds,
Vivek

22 Posts

November 10th, 2009 04:00

Well, apparently there was a problem with a power supply which apparently lost power due to an electricity interruption within the datacenter. No such interruption was logged in the UPS's and no other hardware suffers a failure because of this.

EMC verified that the power supply is working normally, and everything seems to be all right. The client still wonders what happend, but nobody can give an explanation. We asked EMC to replace the powersupply proactively just in case.
No Events found!