Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

July 10th, 2012 20:00

CX3-20 Moving a drive from one slot to another slot

I am in the process of replacing the hard drives from 10K 2GB to 15K 4GB.  I have received the 15K 4GB drives but have not installed them yet.  I had one of the 10K 2GB drives fail the other day and went ahead and replaced it with a equal size 15K 4GB drive until I received the 10K 2GB drive replacement.  I received the 10K 2GB replacement so I removed the 15K 4GB drive and replaced it with the new 10K 2GB drive.  My question is now the 15K 4GB drive is going into a new DAE that is being connected to the existing DAE's and is this going to be a problem with it having the 15K 4GB drive that was previously bound to a LUN?

The documentation states:

If a disk module has been bound into a LUN, do not move it to another slot unless you do not care about the data on the LUN. Each module contains LUN-identifying information written when it was bound. Moving it to another slot can make information on the original LUN inaccessible.

Does this apply to this situation?

Thanks

Shannon McLemore

Enterprise System Administrator

812 Posts

July 10th, 2012 22:00

Hi Shannon,

What I understood from your question above is, you have a 15K 4G drive and was temporarily used as a replacement for a 10K 2G drive. Now you want to populate this drive to a new DAE, and 10K 2G drive is replaced with a similar drive now.

I hope the 10K 2G drive is now properly equalized and have no issues with this drive and its LUN. If you have to install the 15K 4G drive in to new DAE and configure it for new RAID Group and LUN, you should be able to do this without any issues.

Vipin V.K

2 Intern

• 

5.7K Posts

July 11th, 2012 00:00

When removing a drive from it's slot, be sure no LUNs are on it or any Raid Group this drive is participating in. If you fail to do so, the LUN / Raid Group will get into a failed state and rebuilding data will be necessary.

So you used this temporary 4Gb drive to get data rebuild upon after a drive failure? When you now remove it again, the Raid Group will become failed and data needs to be reconstructed, leaving the data at risc, since you're missing a drive.

Also consider that if your bus is operating at 2Gb and you replace all the drives for 4Gb ones, your bus still operates at 2Gb.

2 Intern

• 

5.7K Posts

July 11th, 2012 06:00

If the 4Gb drive is in a slot that is not being used at this moment you can easily pull it out and plug it in somewhere else. But please disable the dial home first, so EMC won't get an email saying that one of the disks is suddenly missing in action.

2 Posts

July 11th, 2012 06:00

RRR,

The 15K 4GB drive was removed but a 10K 2GB drive was put back in it place and the original LUN \ RAID Group is stable.  Now I want to use that 15K 4GB drive in a different DAE.  Since it was used as a temporary replacement and contains information will this cause issues?

224 Posts

July 12th, 2012 16:00

It's possible @SMcLemore.

When you add this drive to the new enclosure and start using this then all the data across this disk will be zeroed out.

When a LUN is carved on that perticular drive, then the status of the disk will go from unbound to enabled and an internal process named background zeroing will kick start that zeroes out the data contained in that drive.

In short, you are all set to go n use that disk.

No Events found!