Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

July 13th, 2012 14:00

CX4-480 question

We have CX4-480 connected to boraced swtiches and HP Unix 11.0

zoning exists with two SPAs say A1 and B1,  now A1 having more load so want to add A0 and eventually remove A1.(only 1 HBA)

After adding A0 (ran ioscan -fn on HP Unix side) still not able to see the A0 on clarriion side.

I tried to add manually, using New register tab selecting the option existing hosts. but still it shows not logged in.

any thoughts?

4.5K Posts

July 13th, 2012 14:00

HP-UX will show Not Logged In in Connectivity Status on the array until you send IO down the path.

glewn

2 Intern

• 

20.4K Posts

July 13th, 2012 16:00

zoning ok and activated ?

2 Intern

• 

20.4K Posts

July 13th, 2012 16:00

that's what ioscan does

155 Posts

July 16th, 2012 06:00

Zoning is ok and activated, but not sure why its not showing up on Navisphere. it is because of Navisphere code upgrade we are on 28. I think for CX4-480 the new code is on 30s.

2 Intern

• 

20.4K Posts

July 16th, 2012 06:00

one trick i remember doing was to re-enable zoneset activation (even though there could be no changes), this would "tickle" HPUX just enough to where it would show up in Connectivity Status.

2 Intern

• 

5.7K Posts

July 16th, 2012 07:00

yeah, or it would "tickle" the HP-UXs to suddenly lose 1 or 2 paths.....

2 Intern

• 

20.4K Posts

July 16th, 2012 07:00

really ?, never had issues with 11.11

26 Posts

July 16th, 2012 19:00

Is the host using Powerpath or PVlinks?

Have you confirmed the initiator settings? I also have vague memories that some later versions of the navisphere agent won't run on HP-UX v11.0.

2 Intern

• 

5.7K Posts

July 17th, 2012 01:00

I sort of liked HP-UX on Symmetrix, but on Clariion it's not a nice walk in the park at all. As a matter of fact we've worked with EMC from November 2011 until March 2012 or so to overcome connectivity issues with 2 HP-UX machines. We simply couldn't get the **** things to work properly. We suspect it's both HP-UX hosts, but the Unix guys say everything is ok on their side, but that's exactly what we also say.

155 Posts

July 18th, 2012 13:00

I have added another path by pulling cables to Cisco switches and tried to access through Clarrion after running ioscan but no luck. I found outone thing this particular host is not seen on the SG ~management. which we can go to Connect Hosts--->and then go to Advanced tab...> but the HP Unix host is not seen in there. Any Thoughts?

4.5K Posts

July 18th, 2012 14:00

Before you can add a new host to a Storage Group, it must show up as logged in and registered. When I used to see this HP-UX issues, I always saw the host as logged out, but it was registered, then when you sent IO to the array (IOscan) the logged status would change to Logged in. ONce you have both logged in and registered, you should be able to add to a Storage Group. If you create a new Storage Group, add a LUN and make sure that the Host LUN Number is zero (0) then add the host. Then open the tree item (the + next to Host under the SG name), right click on the host name and select Connectivity status. If the paths are not all under the SG name (some show up in ~management), then click the Reconnect button at the bottom.

glen

PS - on PowerLink under the Support:

Home > Support > Technical Documentation and Advisories > Host Connectivity/HBAs > Installation/Configuration

Look for the document for HP-UX

26 Posts

July 18th, 2012 16:00

Does the host 'see' the CX at all - i.e. does 'ioscan' show anything?

Can you please post the output from 'ioscan -fnCdisk` ?

No Events found!