Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

April 24th, 2008 12:00

Changing RAID level

I have a couple LUNs created as RAID 1/0 (unused, not going to be used). Can I just change them to RAID 5 for another server we want to attach or do I need to destroy those LUNs and recreate them?
TIA

4.5K Posts

April 25th, 2008 12:00

Once you bind the first LUN in a new Raid Group, the Raid Group gets set to the raid type of the LUN. To change the raid type for a LUN, you can unbind all the LUNs in the raid group and the bind new LUNs with a different raid type. Or you can migrate the LUNs to a different LUN in a different Raid Group with the raid type you want.

regards,

glen kelley

2 Intern

• 

20.4K Posts

April 24th, 2008 12:00

you could migrate them to RAID-5 LUNs using Lun Migrator in NaviSphere ..or like you said delete/recreate.

410 Posts

April 24th, 2008 20:00

2 Intern

• 

5.7K Posts

May 7th, 2008 06:00

Is your question answered by now ?

I guess you only have 2 options:
- migrate RAID10 LUN's to RAID5 LUN's to preserve data
- unbind RAID10 LUN's and recreate RAID5 LUN's if data isn't needed anymore.

2 Intern

• 

20.4K Posts

December 17th, 2009 07:00

you could delete spare and create LUNs on one disk but are you willing to take the chance of losing data if that drive fails ?

16 Posts

I'm sorry please explain I dont understand. What do you mean loosing a chance of loosing data that resides in spare drive?

I am not too familiar on how to use the spare drive never use it before. Please explain and answer.

Can you create a regular disk drive Raid 10 or Raid 5 on a spare drive?

Can I create a multiple disk of Raid 5 or 10 using the spare drive?

I just want to move the data from a bad performing disk temporarily to a good disk until I reformated the orginal disk?

I am thinking to perform LUN migration just to move the Data to the newly created disk which is the spare disk when the data is there intact with no problem

reformat the original Disk Raid 10 and perform another LUN migration from the spare disk, what problem do you foreseen on this scenario because I have

to do this in Production drive. Thank you for your help and let me know.

16 Posts

Can you tell me if can I LUN migrate Raid 10 disk with data to a Spare drive? No available disk in the Clariion except the Spare Drive.

Can I make the spare drive usuable like a normal disk like RAid 5?

EMC says that the current disk have a preformance problem due a problem so this RAID 10 disk needs to be reformated and migrate

the data first to a new LUN but I do not have anything available except the Spare.

What should I do?

2 Intern

• 

20.4K Posts

before we go down the road of deleting the spare drive, can you explain what EMC told you regarding performance and what did they advice you do ? Move to raid-5 configuration, different drives, more drive ?

16 Posts

December 17th, 2009 10:00

Wait I am trying to find the EMC case # stating t backup and restore this current V-drive (2.3 TB) create a new disk make it Raid 10 and restore the data due to performance problem. Description finding by EMC- I have the printed report by EMC here I will type it in I have no soft copy Im waiting for the case# too.

UPS United Parcel Service - Clarion sn# APM00062603769- site ID 17736

Case number? still waiting who opened this call Manish Arora of UPS

He is from CPM Group in UPS - Capacity Performance Management

CX3-80 Metalun Drive V LUN of meta of 7 luns each 468 GB made of 8 15krph FC disks

Total IOPS this LUN can handle is 10,080 IOPS showing low IOPS

LUN response time - graphs spiking

LUN itulization the graphs looks spiking up high to 106

Current Disk Utilization - its says Backend Disks are up to 60% MAX utilized

number of stripe crossing - 783639393

number un-used blocks prefetched 784735716

EMC Analysis of Cluster server 0014\0015 Windows 2003 SP2 SAN switch going to Clarion CX3-80

* Increase number of IOPS by 1000 IO's as compare to the last time

* SPA utilization has increased from 44% MAX to 64% MAX

* The IO type is still heavy Random Reads

*The Read Cache hit is almost equals to 30% to 40%

*Pre-fetched blocks are not been used due to random read IOPS

*The drives are MAX 60% utilized

*Disk crossing is occuring while reading or writing data as alignment offset is set to default zero

Previous recommendation by EMC:

*Due to the extreme amount of random reads, the Application needs to tune their Application

*Current Recommendation:

*Due to the extreme amount of random reads, the application needs to tune their application

* Set the alignement offset to 64 KB in order to stop disk crossing

*Can set the pre-fetch Multiplier to 2 or 0 on LUN 17 in order to stop pre-fetching blocks to read

Note: there us a down-time required on both activities. For setting the alignment offset data needs ti backed up and restored.

MY Question to EMC right now is - instead of backup and restore I want to do a LUN Migration instead but I do not have a 3.2

TB on CX3--80 all I have are all spare drives. Can I use the spare drives to create a 2.3 LUNS to move the data temporary ONLY.

Once the data is migrated from LUN 17 Raid 5 to the Spare disks - I will format the orginal disk LUN 17run diskpart and perform

another lun migration move data from Spare disk to the newly formated LUN 17. Can you answer my question please,

Can I create a 3.3 TB of metalun out of a sparedisk? YES or No?

16 Posts

Got you thank you.

139 Posts

Spare drives are not special drives. Spare drive become spare drive when during RG creation (or lun creation on older flare code), you make the RAID level "hot spare". If you want to use them, go to RGs that have the spare drives, delete the hot spare luns and then the RG. Then you can create another RG and create luns inside them.

2 Intern

• 

20.4K Posts

December 17th, 2009 11:00

Lynny,

what EMC is asking you to address (disk alignment) will not work if you use LUN migration as mis-aligned partition will travel to the new disk and then back to your newly build raid group (or whatever you were going to do). You have to create a brand new LUN, use diskpart to align it and restore data into it. Lun Migration is not the way to fix your alignment issue.

16 Posts

May I know your name please....

16 Posts

Original drive LUN 17 - is made of 54 drives - we do not have enough

I have bunch of 133.68 and 66.64 but not enough for 3.3

can I destroy all the spare drive worth 780 GB so it goes back to the pool

will it show us 133 gb or 66g after I destroy the spare?

2 Intern

• 

20.4K Posts

as long as you understand that any LUNs migrated to this one drive (that has no raid protection) will be gone if this drive fails.
No Events found!