Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

May 12th, 2015 05:00

Clariion AX4-5F security reset? Or how to un-initialize it?

Hello all!

My department has inherited a Clariion AX4-5F disk processor enclosure (product number 100-562-104), which is carrying inside of it two fibre-channel Storage Processors (each one them with two fibre-channel ports), and also comes with 12 SAS 3.5" 146 GB @15Krpm disks. It comes from another department which has been shut down, and we do not have the login credentials to this storage system.

Also, the data inside of this storage system is of no value to our department.

So I would like to put this storage system to use as a test storage system for the internal projects in our department, but when I try to connect with a browser to the Navisphere Express in either storage processor A or B, a login screen appears and we cannot get access because the credentials needed are unknown to us.

Also, when I run the "EMC Unisphere Storage System Initialization Wizard", it detects the storage system but says it is already initialized and cannot proceed further.

And finally, the support contract the old department had with EMC has run out, so we are out of support with them.

So the questions I have are:

1. Is it possible to un-initialize this storage system, in a self-service fashion (i.e., without involvement from EMC support services)?

2. How can I reset the login credentials in order to gain access to this storage system using the already working Navisphere Express which are running on both Storage Processors?

3. Should I just give up, yank out the SAS hard disks, and send this storage system to the recycler company?

Thank you very much for your help!

100 Posts

May 21st, 2015 09:00

The AX4-5F supports:

3.5” 15K RPM SAS drive,

3.5” 10K RPM SAS drive,

3.5” 7.2K RPM SATA 3 GB/s drive,

2.5” 10K RPM SAS

Although it will take standard drives it is not supported by EMC.

May 12th, 2015 18:00

Hello !

Try resetting the password using the procedure in the following link https://emc--c.na5.visual.force.com/apex/KB_HowTo?id=kA0700000004Grh

If you can't access, let me know and I'll attach. If you can then access the navisphere interface, you'll be able to delete all the LUNs, destroy the RAID GROUPS etc, and basically reset the array to a blank canvass.

It's be a handy bit of kit to have as a sandbox or dev piece.

6 Posts

May 13th, 2015 01:00

Hello, Brett@S. Thanks a lot for your reply.

I cannot access the page you linked, when I try with my EMC username I get back de error message "Access denied. Page you are trying to access is not allowed .. Sorry for inconvenience."

Could you please attach that information, or somehow send it to me, please?

( My email is emc.2015.jgomez AT naleco DOT com )

Thank you very much for your help!

May 13th, 2015 02:00

Here you go

Article Content

How to log in to a Navisphere 6 or Unisphere domain if you forget your login or password
How to reset the Navisphere User Interface (UI) password if lost or forgotten

How to recover a lost password on a CX3, CX, AX4-5, and VNX Sseries
Forgot password for Navisphere 6 domain and cannot log on.
Need to reset security because password was forgotten.

Lost password for CX Series, CX3 Series, CX4 Series, AX4-5 Series, or VNX Series storage systems
Product: CLARiiON AX4-5 Series
Product: CLARiiON CX Series

Product: CLARiiON CX3 Series

Product: CLARiiON CX4 Series

Product: VNX series

EMC SW: Navisphere Manager 6.x

EMC SW: Unisphere Service Manager (USM)

This statement does not apply: EMC SW: Navisphere Express
You must use a serial connection for the following procedure to work:
  1. Establish a PPP connection to one of the storage processors (SPs).
  2. Point your browser to this URL: http:// 192.168.1.1/setup
  3. Click "Create a New Account."
  4. Enter a user name and in the New Password Verification text box, type in the password again.
  5. Click "Restart Management Server."

Note: You may need to restart Management Server on both SPs.
  6. Point your browser to this URL: http:// <IP_address_ of _SP>
  7. Log in to domain using the newly-set username and password.

Note: You also have the option of completely resetting domain security. However, if you select this option, you will destroy ALL domain information, including domain information for the master, other arrays, and portals. If you decide to reset domain security, replace Step 3 with the following:

Click "Reset Security" and confirm.  (You must reset security on both SPs.)

Then perform all other steps as described.

Note: If the procedure does not work, connect to the master SP and rerun Steps 1 to 7.

For VNX and CX4 systems, use the following URL: https:// 192.168.1.1/setup
If the AX4-5 storage system is running Navisphere Express, this solution does not apply.

6 Posts

Thanks a lot, Brett@S.

Unfortunately, both SP in this Disk Processor Enclosure (Clariion AX4-5F) are running Navisphere Express.

And the article you pasted says "If the AX4-5 storage system is running Navisphere Express, this solution does not apply".

Is there by any chance some other way to reset the login credentials for this storage system?

Thanks!

Sory, missed that...

I've seen a few posts referring to s "reset security" button on the back of the DPE, in the right corner. This can apparantly be used to allow non authenticated access for 15 minutes allowing you to rest passwords etc. Try this;

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

How do I create a username and password?
To create a new username and password, complete the following steps:

On an SP, press the white security button to the far right of the power button to put the SP in a special reset state (Figure 1).

The amber SP fault light turns on.

The special reset state gives you 15 minutes to reset the storage system’s security settings. This 15-minute window stays active until one of the following occurs:

• You log in to the storage system with a valid username and password.
  • You create a new user account.
  • You modify an existing user account.
  • The 15 minutes is up.

After 2 minutes, start Navisphere Express on the storage system:

Open an Internet browser, such as Internet Explorer, Netscape, or Mozilla, on the management host.

Enter the IP address of an SP in the storage system.

This address is the one that you assigned when you initialized the storage system.

Either log in to Navisphere Express as you normally would or without a username and password.

In the navigation pane, under System, click Settings.

In the System Settings pane, select User Management.

Modify or create user accounts; then exit Navisphere Express.

For detailed information on modifying or creating user accounts, refer to the Navisphere Express online help.

Test the new credentials by restarting Navisphere Express and logging in to it with the new username and password.

6 Posts

May 13th, 2015 04:00

Thanks again, Brett@S.

Yes, both Storage Processors (A and B) in this disk processor enclosure have a small white button on their bottom right corner, next to the printed image of an open padlock.

When I press either of them, the led light next to the warning symbol blinks once in orange, it does not stay in orange. I wait the prescribed two minutes and then I try to access the Navishpese Express in the storage processor, but still it keeps asking for login credentials (i.e, the Nevisphere Express system does not allow me to by-pass the login step).

WL62pTVE.jpg

Perhaps the "open padlock" button has to be pressed in some special way?

6 Posts

May 21st, 2015 09:00

Please, could anyone confirm whether this storage system (Clariion AX4-5F) can take standard 3.5" SAS disks, or does it only take disks flashed with a proprietary EMC firmware?

Thanks a lot!

6 Posts

May 22nd, 2015 00:00

Thanks a lot, Tim.

I see you are affiliated with EMC. Do you per chance know of a working procedure to reset the administrator password in the Storage Processors running Navisphere Express 6 of a Clariion AX4-5F storage system?

1 Rookie

• 

205 Posts

May 27th, 2015 11:00

The security un-initialization procedure should work the same regardless of navisphere or navisphere express.  Basically you go to https:// /setup  and there will be a button that says something like 'destroy security and domain info'.  Click this, wait about 2 minutes, then connect to SPB and do the same thing.  You can also do this if you don't know the IPs, but it requires a serial connection and a few extra steps. (also listed in the procedure above i believe)

100 Posts

May 28th, 2015 14:00

I see Brett answered this.

You might also find this helpful:

Product: AX4-5 only
Description:  Generate a new  username and password on an AX4-5 if password is lost.

Resolution:  To create a new username and password, complete the following steps:

1. On a storage processor (SP), press the white security button (with  'unlock indicator') on the bottom far right-hand corner of the SP to put the SP in a special reset state.  The amber SP fault light turns on.

2. The special reset state gives you  15 minutes to reset the storage system’s security settings. This 15-minute  window stays active until one of the following occurs:

• You log in to the storage system with a valid username and password.
  • You  create a new user account.You modify an existing user account.
  • The 15 minutes is  up.   

3. After 2 minutes, start Navisphere Express on the storage system: 

• Open an Internet browser, such as Internet Explorer, Netscape, or  Mozilla, on the management host. 
  • Enter the IP address of an SP in the storage system. (This address  is the one that you assigned when you initialized the storage system.) 
  • You will not be prompted for a username/password during this 15  minute time span.

4.   In the navigation pane, under System, click Settings.

5.   In the System Settings pane, select User Management.

6.   Modify or create user accounts; then exit Navisphere Express. (For detailed information on modifying or creating user accounts, refer to Navisphere Express online help.)

7. Test the new credentials by restarting Navisphere Express and logging in to it with the new username and password.

No Events found!