Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

April 26th, 2012 04:00

Data migration from CX300 to VNX5100 and reconnect LUN Win2003

First time posting.

I am looking for a simple step-by-step process for the data migration from our CX300 to VNX5100. I have read the SAN Copy document but do not see the details for what needs to be done on the Windows 2003 R2 server. Detail steps like, disconnect LUNs, shutdown server, Pull LUNs, reconnect LUNs on from new SAN, ensure drive letter mapping and security/sharing are the same. When do you update or remove PowerPath, Navisphere Agent, etc?

Something that will give me a clear list of events that have to occur on the server so I can be up and running as if nothing happened.

Any wise adivse is greatly appreciated.

I have all this new hardware and no way to use it.

One frustrated IT Dude.

127 Posts

April 26th, 2012 05:00

Hi,

Please find the step by step procedure document for migrating data from CLARiiON to VNX using SANCOPY.

http://www.emc.com/collateral/hardware/white-papers/h8173-migrating-clariion-vnx-san-copy-wp.pdf

Thanks

Madhu

2 Intern

• 

20.4K Posts

as far as the software is concerned (PowerPath, Naviagent), you can upgrade them ahead of time.

1K Posts

1. Zone host to the VNX array

2. Register host on the VNX array (restart the Navisphere Agent once you complete step 1 - this should register the host on the VNX)

3. Shut down server

4. Perform a final SANCopy incremental sync (assume you already set up a Incremental SANCopy sync)

5. Add host to the VNX5300 storage group (match the HLU's for the LUNs that were in the CX300 storage group)

6. Power on server

7. Go to disk management and perform a few disk rescans

8. Done. The host will have the same drive letters since the disk signatures were copied over via SANCopy

1K Posts

April 26th, 2012 13:00

Good catch Christopher, thank you. I missed that step. Make that step 4.5 in my original post

April 26th, 2012 13:00

I would just like to add one step to Ernes notes.  Anytime after you power down the host (step 3) and before you restart host (step 6), unpresent the LUNs from the host to the CX300. 

This could be as simple as removing the host from the storage group on the CX300 or as I prefer, disable the corresponding zones.  I prefer this over removing the host from the storage group so the LUNZ's don't show up (and easier than disabling ArrayCommPath).  Then again, the LUNZ's are (for the most part) harmless.

Then again, I'm probably just stating the obvious as we don't want both sets of LUNs (now with the same disk signatures) presented simultaneously.

No Events found!