Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

October 29th, 2013 23:00

EMC Clariion LUN size - best practice

Good morning ,

I would like to know the best practice for LUN size for FC disks and SATA disks on EMC CX4-480 Clariion.Both microsoft windows and Vmware.

2 Intern

• 

1.4K Posts

October 30th, 2013 18:00

FC disks are usually used for high performance application need while SATA is for lower performance with high storage capacity needs. The LUN size totally depends on your application capacity needs. There is no best practice for a LUN size.  But We do have best practice for RAID Group configuration, like 4+1 or 8+4 for RAID 5, 4+4, 8+8 for RAID10. 6+2, 8+2 for RAID 6.

2 Intern

• 

2.8K Posts

October 30th, 2013 19:00

The general direction for VMware is to go with larger and larger pools of compute, network, and storage.  Makes the whole cloud thing simpler.  Thus the increase of support from 2TB to 64TB LUN’s.  I wouldn’t recommend going out and creating 64TB LUN’s all the time.  Because of VAAI the locking issue goes away.  The pathing issue is still there with native multipathing but if you go with EMC’s PowerPath/VE then that goes away.  So then it comes down to how big the customer wants to make their failure domains.  The thinking is that the smaller the LUN the less VM’s placed on it thus the less impact if a datastore/LUN were to go away.  Of course we go through great lengths to prevent that with five 9’s arrays and redundant storage networks, etc.  So, the guidance I’ve been seeing lately is 2TB datastores/LUNs is a good happy medium of not too big and not too small for general purpose VM’s.  If the customer has specific requirements to go bigger then that’s fine, it’s supported.

For more information, I strongly recommend you read the thread of Best practice for VMware LUN size

and the document of planning the number and size of LUNs and volumes for CSV.

4 Posts

October 30th, 2013 23:00

Thank you.

Godfrey Mawoyo

Certified Systems Expert

Southern Business Solutions

Unit 9 , CARRAMBA BUSINESS PARK

Plot number 43173

Phakalane.

Private Bag BR 115, Gaborone , Botswana

Cellphone number :+267 72100049

Tel : +267-3956867

Fax +267-3956963

Email address gmawoyo@sbs.bw or mawoyog@yahoo.com

4.5K Posts

November 6th, 2013 13:00

Was your question answered correctly? If so, please remember to mark your question Answered when you get the correct answer and award points to the person providing the answer. This helps others searching for a similar issue.

glen

No Events found!