Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

April 3rd, 2012 09:00

Getting started docs, tools, apps?

I'm new to the EMC world and looking for some documentation to get me started managing CX4s and VNXs. I have been managing NetApp and various other storage systems for years but have little knowledge of EMC products. My solutions usually don't involve EMC products because of my lack of education and experience with them. From an outsider looking in, the EMC white papers, downloads, etc. are so huge it's hard to know where to start.

I'm not looking to read a 1000 page PDF on every model of EMC out there. Just trying to see if there are any simplified documents out there for the experience storage admin trying to learn how to get around in the EMC world. Thanks for any advice in advance.

I have some pretty basic questions like, what tools, if any can help me with an upgrade path for my flare code. What version should I be running, etc.

The whole "domain" theory is new to me. Can I create a new domain and add all my CX and VNX arrays to it? Are there flare code dependencies to make this happen? What ports would I need opened on a firewall to manage arrays in different locations?

Is Unisphere the new version of Navisphere? If so can I manage everything through unisphere and just forget about navisphere?

I am regularly asked to generate a report that has server to LUN/Volume mappings and their sizes. The only thing I have found so far is under reporting and it generates separate reports for each option checked. e.g. Attached Servers and LUNs are two separate reports that I really need to be one. In NetApp I can just ssh in and do a df and get the volumes and luckily the server names are in the volume name. However, the old EMC admin created 150+ LUNs names LUN#

Generally my first response to someone posting this kind of thing would be RTM or how about trying a search. But... the emc site is HUGE and I'm afraid I don't know the proper questions to ask to get a search result of any use.

Any tools I should get installed? Books I can buy? Reporting tools you guys use? Alerting tools, etc. call home options for autosupport? Geesh, I sound like a moron asking all these Qs. Sorry guys.

1.4K Posts

April 3rd, 2012 10:00

Hello,

For Starters you can read the below PDF's for VNX and CLARiiON respectivelty:

EMC Unified Storage System Fundamentals for Performance and Availability

http://powerlink.emc.com/km/live1/en_US/Offering_Technical/White_Paper/h1094_Unified_Storage_Fundamentals.pdf

EMC CLARiiON Storage System Fundamentals for Performance and Availability

http://powerlink.emc.com/km/live1/en_US/Offering_Technical/White_Paper/H1049_emc_clariion_fibre_channel_storage_fundamentals_ldv.pdf

Check out below links for Getting Started to Downloads and upgrade:

https://support1.emc.com/products/12781

https://support.emc.com/products/CLARiiONCX4.aspx

Regarding Domain: You can Refer Domain and Security Commands in NaviCLI Admin Guide attached.(Refer Chapter 9)

You may also check and search for more related documents on Domain and Security in powerlink.emc.com

Unisphere is the latest software to manage the array.

For now, I would request you to go through this much and I'm sure it would answer your other queries.

Plus, if you have Unisphere Installed - Do use Help Function for Know How's.

1 Attachment

April 3rd, 2012 12:00

Thank you for taking the time to reply! I will start on the first two PDFs today. Te CLI reference is 500 pages of awesome reference material as well. Thank you for the start in the right direction.

1.4K Posts

April 3rd, 2012 13:00

No Problem. I believe that is all you need to know about CLARiiON and VNX.

However, later once you are familiar with the hardware and architecture you will be able to search with specific query or specific issue to find the solution available in terms of Documents, White Papers, Primus Solutions, Videos and ECN Posts.

If I have answered your queries, request you to mark the post as answered.

1.4K Posts

April 3rd, 2012 18:00

Attached: EMC Navisphere Security Domains, Multi-Domains and User Accounts Admin Guide.

This should conclude the topic!

Happy Reading!

1 Attachment

392 Posts

April 4th, 2012 04:00

You may find EMC Unified Best Practices for Performance and Availability: Common Platform and Block 31.5 to be helpful.  This document is likewise available on Powerlink. 

That document contains a list of current EMC documents for each of the topics it addresses for further reference.  That can provide a 'short list' of reading material that you may find helpful.

No Events found!