Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

August 31st, 2010 20:00

Is DAE for CX3-20 different from that for CX4?

We would like to migrate our CX3-20 SAN to CX4-120.  We prefer to opt for 8GB - prepare for the future need.

We just wonder whether we can keep the existing DAE (Running 300GB 15krpm FC Disk) or we have to replace it with new ones ?

Thanks

59 Posts

August 31st, 2010 23:00

Tony you are correct in your assesment...Host side of array runs at 8GB....BE runs at 4GB (could be 2GB depending on what dusks you have).

you can check in the GUI to see what speed your emclosures are currently running at .

open out the physical  bit of the array. the enclosure speeds should be listed against the enclosures.

Or you can run the following navicli command -

naviseccli -h backendbus -get -speeds

jim

2 Intern

• 

20.4K Posts

August 31st, 2010 20:00

59 Posts

August 31st, 2010 21:00

Release 29 brought in support for changing 4GB I/O modules for 8GB I/O modules. But this was for Front End ports.

Back end ports are limited to the speed of the DAE they attach to.

From the release notes for R29....

I/O module upgrades

This version of FLARE supports upgrading UltraFlex™ I/O modules to a faster I/O module of the same type. Upgrades from 4-gigabit Fibre Channel to 8-gigabit Fibre Channel and upgrades from 1-gigabit iSCSI to 10-gigabit iSCSI are supported in this version.

Basically you keep the same DAE's as part of the conversion form CX3 to CX4.

jim

388 Posts

August 31st, 2010 21:00

Dear Jim,

Thanks for your advice.

From your reply, my understanding is the front end will be running 8Gbps and the backend will be 4Gbps.  In this way, the SAN will be running 4Gbps (limited by the backend).  Is it correct ?

If my supervisor prefers 8Gbps, does it mean that we have to replace the DAE and disks as well ?

Thanks again

2 Intern

• 

20.4K Posts

August 31st, 2010 22:00

front-end ports where systems login to will be running at 8G while back-end is still 4G limited. Do you have switch infrastructure that supports 8G ?

388 Posts

Hi,

We intend to replace the FC Switch from Brocade SW200 to SW300 that supports 8Gbps.

1) From your advice, my understanding is that even though we use 8G HBA, 8G FC Switch, CX4 and replace the DAE to latest model, the system is still running 4Gbps (Limited by the backend).   Is it correct ?

2) Is there any easy way to find out the speed of backend - from both DAE and DPE ?

Thanks

12 Posts

Also be aware that if you have any 2Gb DAEs in your existing array, this will cause the entire loop to run at 2Gb. If you upgrade your existing array to a CX4, these DAEs (and the entire BE loop(s) they are on) will still run at 2Gb.

388 Posts

August 31st, 2010 23:00

Dear Jim,

1) In Navisphere Manager, we find that the DAE is already 4GB.  Does it mean that we don't need to upgrade the DAE ?

2) Besides, I have followed your instruction to find the speed of backend but I get the following error message:

Security file not found.  Already removed or check -secfilepath option.  Is there any suggestion ?

3) The IP address in the statement in 2) is the IP of SPA ?

Thanks again

2 Intern

• 

20.4K Posts

September 1st, 2010 03:00

1) correct, you don't need to upgrade because there is nothing better to upgrade to at the moment

2) try like this:

NaviSECCli.exe -user -password -scope 0 -address 10.1.8.30 backendbus -get -speeds

if you dont' want to specify username and password every time you run naviseclci command you will need to configure securefile that contains Navisphere credentials in encrypted format, see Naivsecli documentation.

3) SPA or SPB

59 Posts

September 1st, 2010 21:00

Tony, the management server not running is not normal...

Firstly do you have the correct IP addr (i assume you do but thad to ask it).

Second...can you go into a browser and type the following in the URL

http:// /setup

Then log in anf scroll down until you see the restart management server button.

Hit this and submit...

Wait a couple of minutes and try to browser to the SP again (http:// )

Jim

388 Posts

September 1st, 2010 21:00

Thanks for your advice.

For SPB, I find that it is Bus 0 and Speed is 4GB.

However, for SPA, it gives me an error message "Message : Error occurred because connection refused. Management Server is not running".  We are running CX3-20, is there any reason for this error message ?

Thanks again

388 Posts

September 1st, 2010 22:00

Dear Jim,

Sorry for my mistake - I have got the IP address wrong for SPA.

Thanks for your help again.

Regards,
Tony

No Events found!