Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

February 26th, 2015 12:00

SPcollect for both SPs

Hi can someone explain to me why we need an SPcollect for both SPs and not only for SPA or SPB. As I understand both SPs access the same disks and have the same configuration except IP address? My question may seem a bit weired but I'm new in this field and I want to understand this first before moving forward.

February 26th, 2015 13:00

Each SP 'owns' a set of LUNs, and a LUN is only active on one SP at a time.  (for Clariion anyway)

Really, this makes sure that SP resources (cpu, memory and cache) are used appropriately.

Therefore if you only gather a single SP's collects, you're not going to get all the logs/captures and info about the LUN's the other SP has active on it, and you won't be getting the full picture.

When you look at a LUN's properties you will see the Current owner and the Default owner. When a LUN is not on it's default owner, it's 'trespassed'.  In the event of an SP failure, all LUNs on the failed SP would trespass to the peer/surviving SP.

You may also see 'Allocation Owner', which for Pools, manages the slice allocation.

Ideally you want the allocation owner, the default owner, and the current owner to all the the same SP.

I've digressed a bit from your question, but hope the info helps.

February 26th, 2015 14:00

Oh heck, you don't need cables! Do this from the Unisphere GUI.

Go to the system tab, then down the right you'll see "Diagnostic Files". Generate the files for SPA, then SPB then come back in 10 minutes and run the "Get Diagnostic Files" wizards.

Can also be done form cli if you're that way inclined (I am). So if that interests you, happy to help you with that later on.

22 Posts

February 26th, 2015 14:00

Thanks, Another question : is there a way to get SPA and SPB SPcollect simultaneously without logging out  from SPA after generating Diagnostic files, switch the cable and log in SPB Generate files, get them and then switch back cable to SPA and get files from SPA.

February 26th, 2015 22:00

Hi ,

Please can you share the CLI Command to gather the SP Collects for both the Sp's.....

Thanks & Regards

Gaganpreet Singh

Zensar Storage Support...

February 26th, 2015 23:00

Hi Gaganpreet, in addition to Roger's info, I have also blogged a while ago and demonstrated the steps, which may help.

Steps 10 & 11.  Have fun

EMC – Quick Naviseccli commands – Pt1 | Pragmatic IO

4K Posts

February 26th, 2015 23:00

Navisphere Secure CLI

Perform the following steps:

1.   Open a command prompt on the Management Station.
  2.   Type cd "C:\Program Files\EMC\Navisphere CLI" - This is the default installation folder for Windows, but the path the file was installed to may have been overridden.  Other platforms, such as Linux, would have a different folder structure, but the commands are the same. The CLI folder may already be in the path statement, in which case, the commands can be run from any directory.
  3.   Type naviseccli -h spcollect
  4.   Type naviseccli -h spcollect
  5.   These commands start the SPcollect script on each SP.  Additional security information may also need to be specified (39860).
  6.   Wait at least 10 minutes for the SPcollects to run, before attempting to retrieve them.
  7.   Type naviseccli -h managefiles -list                 
  8.   This will list the files created by SPcollect.  Check that a file with the current date and time in GMT has been created, ending with _data.zip.  If there is a file ending with .runlog instead, then the SPcollect is still running, so wait for a while longer before retrying this.
  9.   Type naviseccli -h managefiles -retrieve       
    This will display the files that can be moved from the SP to the Management Station.

Example:
    Index Size in KB     Last Modified            Filename
    0     339       06/25/2013 00:45:42  admin_tlddump.txt
    10    24965     06/24/2013 23:39:53  FNM00125001234_SPB_2013-06-24_22-38-15_32a007_data.zip
    11    41577     06/25/2013 00:17:17  FNM00125001234_SPB_2013-06-24_23-10-55_32a007_data.zip
  10.   Enter files to be retrieved with index separated by comma (1,2,3,4,5) OR by a range (1-3) OR enter 'all' to retrieve all file OR 'quit' to quit> 11

This will pull the index number 10 (the most recent ~_data.zip file) from the corresponding SP and copy it to the c:\program files\emc\navisphere cli directory, with a filename of FNM00125001234_SPB_2013-06-24_23-10-55_32a007_data.zip

224 Posts

February 27th, 2015 02:00

That link you've shared looks neat and would have helped me a lot when i started out with clariion
Ur too late to share it now   however  it will help many who seek the same info.

Thank you.

Regards,

Sheron

No Events found!