Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

July 2nd, 2009 07:00

cx-700 vs cx4-120 write cache and Oracle

Hi,

We just purchased a cx4-120. My recommendation was to get a cx4-240, however due to budget restraints our management went with the cx4-120.

We are currently running production and development on a cx-700 with the intent to split the two env and move production to the cx4-120.
While tuning the cx4-120, I noticed that my write cache limit is about 500-600 mb depending on how I tune read cache. On the cx-700, my write cache limit is roughly 2999 mb(3G). I am wondering if it is wise to move our write intensive production Oracle env to the cx4-120 based on these numbers . Or should we move development instead to the cx4-120. I have looked in powerlink and cannot find a comparison document for the allowable tunable cache values.

Thanks so much!

Happyadm

4.5K Posts

July 2nd, 2009 11:00

I think they highlighted the CLI method as it is easier to explain. The GUI method worked at least back to release 12 that I can remember, but I always used the CLI method as I was always sure then that I had it correct - since there is no feedback on the GUI if it's correct or not.

glen

2.2K Posts

July 2nd, 2009 11:00

Thanks Glen, I was misinformed then on that process.

Is there a way to view the properties of a RAID group through the CLI or the GUI to confirm the pairing of the mirrors?

2.2K Posts

July 2nd, 2009 12:00

Thanks Ryan, good stuff. I did not know that.

261 Posts

July 2nd, 2009 12:00

From looking at the getrg cli output for a raid group, it will re-organize the list to list all primary drives first, then the second half of the list is the secondary luns. if you have a 4 drive 1/0, the first two are 1P 2P, then 1S 2S (1st Primary and second Primary, then 1st mirror then second mirror.)

-Ryan

51 Posts

July 2nd, 2009 16:00

I will have to dig up the
documentation that stated that you had to use the CLI
in order to specify the mirror pairs. This was
actually about a year or two ago so it was relevant
to release 24 and possibly 26, I can't remember. I am
trying to find the EMC document that stated that you
had to use the CLI.

EMC Best Practises Guide FLARE 26, page 41, Mirrored Groups - When creating the RAID group use Navisphere CLI to bind across buses....

HTH

Steph

77 Posts

July 3rd, 2009 20:00

One thing that I forgot to mention is that we are using 2gb switches. So I am correct to assume that even with the faster bus, disk(4gb), that I will not be able to take advantage of that because of our switches?

2 Intern

• 

5.7K Posts

July 6th, 2009 01:00

The data transfers from hosts to switch to array is at 2Gb max, but internally the Clariion works at 4Gb, so writing data from cache to and from disks works at 4Gb !
No Events found!