Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

November 2nd, 2006 12:00

Celerra NDMP configuration

I just purchased a Celerra 502 running 5.5 and I am trying to configure NDMP backups over Fibre Channel via the MIA port to a Sepctra Logic Gator 20K with 4 AIT Drives. I am using Networker 7.2 and the Networker Server is running under Solaris 8. Here is the background.

I have a SpectraLogic Gator20K with 200 slots (only 120 legato slots). The box has 4 AIT-4 drives and 2 AIT-3 drives.
The library is already partitioned into 3 segments. The first partition is the USWAL NAS segment which uses the 4 AIT-4 drives over 2 Fibre controllers. I have configured 75 slots for this partition. The NAS box is physically connected (using both AUX ports on DM2 & DM3- failover) to the GATOR via Fibre channel QIP Port A - Port B 2GB/s. The next logical Gator partition is the Windows Storage Node partition. This uses a direct SCSI connection form the Windows Server to the GATOR. This connection uses one of the AIT-3 drives and is on a different controller than the other AIT-3 drive. (This Storage Node connection is also new and needs to be configured on the Networker Server). The last and easiest connection is the other AIT-3 drive which will back up any remaining devices that get backed up via the LAN.

I created a new user ndmp like so
./nas/sbin/server_user server_2 -add -password ndmp

I created the devices and changed the port speed to 2gb
server_devconfig server_2 -create -scsi -nondisks

Discovering storage (may take several minutes)
server_2 : done
[nasadmin@ns502 nasadmin]$ server_devconfig server_2 -list -scsi -nondisks
server_2 :
Scsi Device Table
name addr type info
gk01 c0t0l0 disk 5 021900000000APM00061403491
ggk01 c0t1l0 disk 5 021910001000APM00061403491
gk161 c16t1l1 disk 5 021911001100APM00061403491
jbox1 c32t0l0 jbox SPECTRA GATOR 012907
tape2 c32t0l1 tape SONY SDX-900V 0102
tape3 c32t0l2 tape SONY SDX-900V 0102
tape4 c32t0l3 tape SONY SDX-900V 0102
tape5 c32t0l4 tape SONY SDX-900V 0102

[nasadmin@ns502 nasadmin]$ server_param server_2 -facility fcTach -list
server_2 :
param_name facility default current configured
linx_speed_aux0 fcTach 0x00008000 0x00008000

[nasadmin@ns502 nasadmin]$ server_param server_2 -facility fcTach -modify linx_speed_aux0 -value 0x2000
server_2 : done

Warning 17716815750: server_2 : You must reboot server_2 for linx_speed_aux0 changes to take effect.
[nasadmin@ns502 nasadmin]$ server_cpu server_2 -reboot -monitor now
server_2 : reboot in progress 0.0.0.0.0.0.0.0.0.0.0.0.0.4.

I changed the buffer size to 192 to support AIT-4 drives I hope this is the right number. It's not listed yet.
[nasadmin@ns502 nasadmin]$ server_param server_2 -facility NDMP -list
server_2 :
param_name facility default current configured
md5 NDMP 0 0
maxProtocolVersion NDMP 4 4
scsiReserve NDMP 1 1
dialect NDMP '' ''
convDialect NDMP '8859-1' '8859-1'
v4OldTapeCompatible NDMP 1 1
bufsz NDMP 128 128 192

I have also changed the ntape parameter to reflect the number of drives that I have set it to 4 and rebooted,.

If I run the inquire command on the networker server I only see the 1 AIT-3 drive and the jukebox. I think this is ok.

I delete the jukebox and rerun jbconfig.

I answer number 2 for AUTOdetected SCSI jukebox (I believe this is for the LAN devices and I see the 1 ait-3 drive. What do I do from here???????????

I'm not sure what my tape device name for the ndmp device is. I have tried using server_2:cxx.

I'm stuck at this point. What am I missing. I would like the networker server to control the jukebox. I would like to be able to mount and unmount all tapes from the networker server to all zones of the jukebox. Should I see devices on the networker server that reflect the ndmp devices? if so where are they and what are they called.

Thanks any insight would be much appreciated.

-carl

14.3K Posts

November 3rd, 2006 00:00

The name of device is listed as cXtYlZ - in your case c32t0l[1-4]. With that in mind, I would never mix more than 2 tape drives on same controller.

10 Posts

November 3rd, 2006 07:00

Which controller? The tape library has 2 controllers. Two drives are on each fibre controller. Do you mean the celerra controller?

14.3K Posts

November 3rd, 2006 08:00

Yes, Celerra controller - here we see it all on one controller reported.

10 Posts

If I don't want to flood the single controller, how do I split that up? I have a second DM, but I am using that for "failover" Should I cable it differently or is it even possible.? What do you suggest?

Thanks

14.3K Posts

When I run the command inquire -N and try to add the
NDMP tape server name. I have tried to add most
combinations of c32t0l0 1,2,3 etc. I then use the
ndmp username and password, but I can't add it. Any
reason why I'm unsuccessfull here?

Why would you do that? I thought you have added library as the one where robotic is controlled by something else other than filer.

14.3K Posts

If I don't want to flood the single controller, how
do I split that up? I have a second DM, but I am
using that for "failover" Should I cable it
differently or is it even possible.? What do you
suggest?

I'm not a HW person, but I had Celerra with 10 DMs and each of them did see originally one drive. Then we introduced DDS and they have been zoned across the multiple data movers. c64tYlZ had the same address on each data mover so it was easy for me to know which drive is which. How EMC team did it is beyond my knowledge, but theory says c should be controller and unless you have multiple controllers and can't zone drives to them - there is nothing you can do.

10 Posts

When I run the command inquire -N and try to add the NDMP tape server name. I have tried to add most combinations of c32t0l0 1,2,3 etc. I then use the ndmp username and password, but I can't add it. Any reason why I'm unsuccessfull here?

Thanks

10 Posts

November 6th, 2006 04:00

Ok, so there is nothing I can do about the # of controllers that the Celerra is using, but how do I added this celerra as a NDMP client to by networker server. It looks like the celerra is configured and ready to go. Do I just run jbconfig and add another jukebox? Which option should I choose? SCSI or NDMP option? I only have 1 juke box that has been zoned into 3 boxes. One of the zones (LAN clients)is already configured from the Networker server and I can control the jukebox from there (I only see one drive and 15 slots here though).

When I configure or add the next zone (Celerra NDMP) to the Networker server will I be able to manage/label/load/unload tapes from zone to in the jukebox?
I guess I am not sure if the Networker Server gets "control" of all the zones of the jukebox or does it get control of just one of the zones? This is a little confusing never had set one of these up before.

Thanks for you help

14.3K Posts

November 6th, 2006 05:00

If you have that library already defined you can do it via jbedit or by adding that jukebox again (I prefer that way). So, delete exiting jukebox, delete existing devices that did belong to jukebox and have a fresh start (but keep the same name as before).

If jukebox is controlled by some other machine other than filer (and usually it is - that is the machine which does see robotic) you run jbconfig from that machine with option 2. You should zone robotic only to one box (server itself?).

jbconfig process will via SJI interface communicate with jukebox and it will give you option to configure exactly the number of devices library has. Be careful not to make mistake when giving answers as there is going back if you make one (other than CTRL+C and starting it again). Before you do that, make sure you have license in place (NDMP client connection).

10 Posts

November 6th, 2006 08:00

Ok. It looks like I added some devices to my networker server. The confusion here was the name of the tape server. I was using server_2 (the datamover) and the datamover (server_2) is not registered in DNS or YP. Once I used the IP address of the Celerra things started working nicely. Looking back this should have been very obvious to me( It's easier if you take a step back sometimes)

The next question I have is this: Should a second jukebox be configured for those 75 slots that I am using with the Celerra. I initially configured a second jukebox and it look perfect except for the fact that legato told me that I did have another license for the jukebox. Hmmm. I then deleted the Celerra20K jukbox (I kept the devices though rd:10.1.1.1.....

How do I inventory/label/load/unload these 75 slots? The inventory button is greyed out? If I buy/acuire a second enabler license, will I be able to micromanage both of these at the same time? Is networker that capable?

Is the Networker Server suppose to "touch" these 75 slots so I can micromange them. Right now the NDMP client it just looks like a client that I can't micromange.

Last Item: If I have two filesystem hanging off the Celerra and I want to create 2 clients to back them up, do I need to buy 2 NDMP Tier 2 Client connections or will just one work? I already own plenty of "Netwoker Client connections"

Thanks for all your help

10 Posts

November 6th, 2006 09:00

Thanks for your quick response. How many libraries do I have in the eyes of NW 1 or 2. I zoned the jb or does that not matter? I tried inventorying those slots using the GUI and the button was greyed out. So should I configure 1 or 2 jb on the networker server. It looks like I need a 2nd jb inorder to micromange those slots.

What are you thoughts?

14.3K Posts

November 6th, 2006 09:00

NetWorker is quite touchy to name resolution - you should make sure those IPs have DNS entries.

When you define a library NW will see all slots in library defined (you can verify that with sjirdtag command - run sjirdtag b.t.l on host where library robotic is).

Inventory you can run from GUI or from cmd (nsrjb command). If you run only nsrjb command you should see how many slots and tapes you have inside.

If you defined single data mover with jbconfig you need single ndmp license. If you defined two data movers and have drive assigned to each of them you need two ndmp connections.

14.3K Posts

November 8th, 2006 13:00

How many physical libraries do you have?
No Events found!