Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

T

February 27th, 2008 06:00

Create Quota on Celerra

Can you tell us, can we create quota on an existent resource (folder)? Or in the process of creating quota it is created only a new folder?

21 Posts

I recently asked this question to EMC and was told that a tree quota *cannot* be applied to an existing directory. The directory with the new quota must not exist before creating the tree quota.

2 Intern

• 

20.4K Posts

yep, unfortunately you can't ..so your only option is to create a new tree quota and then move your data into it.

8.6K Posts

February 29th, 2008 03:00

correct.

If you feel strongly that such a functionality would be usefull you can file a Product Enhancement Request through Powerlink

2 Intern

• 

20.4K Posts

February 29th, 2008 07:00

i might have to ...i know when i had issues with nas_quota not reporting correct amount of data versus what was actually on the file system ...lab would run some kind of script to sync it up to what was actually residing on the file system ..so it should be possible.

8.6K Posts

February 29th, 2008 13:00

...lab would run some kind of script to sync it up to what was
actually residing on the file system ..so it should be possible.

thats very different from creating a new treequota though

It think it it was that easy we would have implemented a long time ago :-)

6 Posts

March 3rd, 2008 19:00

Could you tell me more about this script that synchronized the file sizes? I may be having the same issue. My thread about a similar problem

32 Posts

December 17th, 2009 12:00

Hello,

I am in the same situation.

What would be the best way to peform a new Quota tree structure for exisiting directory that does not have Quotas?

Rename the old structure that does not have quotas (rename /data to /data_old) and create new /data Quota Tree)? and copy /data/old to /data

Or is it better to create this way:

Leave /data alone .   Create new Quota Tree /new/data and copy /data to /new/data?

trying to determine the best way to accomplish or which option is better..

Thanks,

David T

8.6K Posts

December 17th, 2009 12:00

doesnt matter which way - just make sure you use a copy util that copies owner and ACLs and not Windows Explorer

you can actually rename a treequota directory without breaking the functionality - the Celerra internally keeps track of them using treeid's and not names

Rainer

32 Posts

December 17th, 2009 13:00

Good information,

So once I have copied over to the new Quota Tree directory, Can I rename the new Quota Tree Directory back to the original directory name?

Example:

Copy /data to /test (and check to make sure /test is completely online and available to users)

Delete the original /data directory

Rename the /test to /data ( in order to keep the original naming structure -and now with complete Tree Quotas

Does this sound correct?

Thanks,

David T

2 Intern

• 

20.4K Posts

December 17th, 2009 13:00

that will work just fine, had to do it myself many times when customers decided they needed quota directories.
No Events found!