Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

September 30th, 2015 09:00

EMC Celerra CKPT Filtering - backup

I apologize in advance as I am new to Celerra and have not configured the device.

Are checkpoints configurable to a destination or will they be automatically set?

How would I filter it out for backup? EMC_EDIR01=/*/*ckpt*

The data is being protected with Commvault NDMP and fails when it hits the check point as the subclient is defined to protact everything, then needs to be manually moved to out.

1.2K Posts

September 30th, 2015 12:00

Take a look at the EMC document, Configuring NDMP Backups on Celerra.  It contains detailed information on setting up NDMP backups and using backup control variables.

In your case, you can configure each NDMP backup to create a temporary checkpoint and use it for the backup.  At the completion of the backup, the snapshot can be unmounted automatically.  By default, when an NDMP backup is taken on the Celerra, the checkpoint of the filesystem is ignored, because the checkpoint is a different filesystem path from the production filesystem.

Let us know if that helps!

Karl

4 Posts

October 1st, 2015 06:00

Also is there a variable we need to configure to exclude the checkpoint or a command we can use to confirm its on?

4 Posts

October 1st, 2015 06:00

Thanks! Sounds like with automatic CKPT I can have my customer configure

EMC_EDIR01=automaticTempNDMPCkpt*

EMC_EDIR02=*CKPT*

674 Posts

October 6th, 2015 01:00

As Karl already mentioned, please check the manual.

The recommendation is doing it the other way round, instead of using EMC_EDIR?? variables, use the SNAPSURE=Y variable.

If you configure it this way, then every time a backuo is started, a checkpoint is created and is backed up. No need to exclude any other checkpoint and you will get a consistent state of the FS

In the manual this is called "File system backup with NDMP using an integrated SnapSure checkpoint"

8.6K Posts

October 7th, 2015 03:00

Unlike on networked based CIFS/NFS access with NDMP backup we never backup the checkpoints if you select that the primary file systems should be backed up

4 Posts

October 7th, 2015 11:00

Good catch- seems like they disabled Snapsure.

Thank you for all the help, will reply back when we change it over.

No Events found!