Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

February 25th, 2013 12:00

How to Mount NFS Exports as User

We are having issues mounting NFS exports with user accounts.  We’ve added the host ip’s to the read/write access and root access on the EMC Unisphere. We’re able to mount the shares using root account, but when using a user account we get permission denied.  We’ve changed the folder permissions and owner to the test user account, but still receive the same issue.  Please let me know if there’s additional information needed to help troubleshoot this issue.

Thanks guys.

8.6K Posts

February 25th, 2013 13:00

I would suggest to start with the Appendix of the NFS on VNX manual – it contains some good information about the sometimes not so intuitive interaction of the different export options

From experience problems like yours are most likely caused by either different mapping/understanding of which UID you are actually using on the clients and what its mapped to

To troubleshoot that create a directory that has write or everyone, then just create a file/dir from the client and do an “ls –l” and see who the actual uid/gid owner are

Sometimes the cause is that the IP/name of the client is seen by the server as a different one than you think – i.e. hosts with multiple interfaces or name resolution

BTW – strictly speaking this isn’t a mounting problem – it looks like you are able to mount fine

8.6K Posts

February 25th, 2013 13:00

Did you mean when running the mount itself as a non-root user you get permission denied ?

3 Posts

February 25th, 2013 15:00

Hi Rainer,

When I ran the ls -l, I was able to see the directories as my username as the owner.  I think you are right in that the server is not seeing the username properly mapping to the UID.  Is there a way to check this?

Response to second post.  Yes, we can run it fine as root but can't mount or anything as non-root user.

8.6K Posts

February 25th, 2013 18:00

Post output and info about your config?

How good is your Unix knowledge?

8.6K Posts

February 26th, 2013 07:00

Well – all the Unix system I know restrict mount to the super user – nothing to do with the VNX

No Events found!