Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

October 5th, 2013 08:00

How to configure SMI-S provider with Celerra VNX simulator?

Hi,

I have recently installed Celerra VNX simulator to create volumes in my environment. I can view Unisphere ui and monitor values of different metrics. But now I want to install SMI-S provider that will connect to simulator and discover the storage infrastructure.

Looking for discovery of infrastructure and monitoring values also by connecting to SMI-S provider using a script/program.

But I am stuck at connecting SMI-S Provider to the simulator. I tried installing the provider on opensuse linux VM (separate from simulator vm). But according to this thread

Issues setting up SMI-S Provider with Celerra Simulator (DART 6.0 Version)

I may be doing it wrong. Does it mean Celerra simulator already contains SMI-S provider and I just need to enable it?

Trying to enable it from this thread I received an error. Re: Unable to connect to the SMI provider on Celerra

Can someone guide me on how this works?

Thanks for the help.

21 Posts

October 7th, 2013 07:00

I have figured out that the celerra vnx simulator itself is running cimserver. Which means it has SMI-S provider in it. I just need to be able to communicate to it for the NFS volumes I created from it. Simulator only allows NFS volume creation.

Any SMI-S provider documentation guide did not mention any simulator so I was trying to install it outside of simulator VM and trying to connect to simulator from it.

Can someone help me what are the next steps to check if the provider is working properly?

I see two urls working. ip:5988/ECOMConfig and /ECOMDebug. Although any request I make from ECOMDebug just keeps spinning and doesn't seem to finish.

Any help in this regard will be appreciated.

Thanks

8.6K Posts

October 7th, 2013 08:00

Hi,

a Celerra / VNX has two parts - block (SAN - Fibre Channel, FCoE, ISCSI) and file (NAS - NFS, CIFS)

Each part has its own SMI-S provider which are implemented differently.

The file SMI-S provider is running on the control station and should work just as well on the Simulator.

The block SMI-S provider runs on an external system can communicates withVNX using Solutions Enabler.

Since the VNX file / Celerra simulator only implements the NAS host access that doesnt work with the simulator.

21 Posts

October 7th, 2013 09:00

Thanks @Reiner_EMC for quick reply.

I can log onto /ECOMDebug and /ECOMConfig urls on the file simulator. Just one more question for u .

Can you tell me how to start looking at monitoring values? In /ECOMDebug url I see this link (Display all perf. counters and values the CIMOM is monitoring) which does not work for me. It keeps spinning seems like it will never finish. (I have created an NFS volume and exposed it to vsphere and started vm on it - i can see monitoring values in Unisphere UI)

Wanted to try to get volume and other entities discovered and monitoring data of those from this SMI-S provider and make sure it works using the url first. Then I can work on writing scripts around it.

Thanks again.

21 Posts

October 7th, 2013 11:00

Just to update,

I could use a sample program to connect to cimserver and get some data. Need to understand how it works from the programmers guide but I am up and running at this point. Although still not sure whats wrong with some links on /ECOMDebug.

Thanks.

8.6K Posts

October 7th, 2013 12:00

Hi,

I am not aware of a sample program for SMI-S

Did you find the correct SMI-S programmers guide ?

21 Posts

October 10th, 2013 14:00

Hi,

Thanks for checking. I am going over this programming guide (https://community.emc.com/docs/DOC-21446) at this point. Hope this is the one.

8 Posts

September 9th, 2014 05:00

Hello,

I am also trying to do the same thing what you were trying. Can you please help me to set up this? I am unable to connect with the server using CIM.

No Events found!