Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

D

December 5th, 2013 12:00

Windows 7 NFS client cannot write to Celerra NFS share

We're testing Windows 7 NFS client because we have need to use it for access to NFS shares.

We have configured the Windows NFS client to use the UID & GID from Active Directory on Win2008 server.

This works fine with NFS shares from Solaris 10 or Ubuntu 10 which use NIS.  UID & GID work fine, we can read and write files which have the correct ownership.

BUT NFS share from our Celerra cannot be written to, Windows displays an error 65535 and says that it's read only media. We can read files but that's only half the battle.

The NFS share from Celerra works fine with the Unix clients, Solaris & Ubuntu & Centos, but not Windows 7 NFS client.  We don't use any multiprotocol  mix (CIFS & NFS) because EMC doesn't do this how we want (just use NFS permissions after user mapping when access from CIFS share) at all on this Celerra.  NIS & Unix clients don't seem to have any problems.

Celerra is NAS version 6.0.70-4.

Has anyone used Windows NFS client with Celerra and gotten the write access to work?  With NIS?

8.6K Posts

December 5th, 2013 12:00

Create a test export with anon=0 and see if that works

41 Posts

December 6th, 2013 05:00

Thanks for the suggestion.

I finally figured it out... the Celerra NFS server doesn't tell me that there are only certain hosts that can write to the share when I do a showmount -e on it, it just says "everyone".  But that's for read mounts, only.   This NFS share was set up with certain selected hosts that can write to it, which doesn't display.  I had to add the Win7 clients to the write allowed list, that's all.  Simple config change, really.   Obvious, now that I figured it out.

So, that's it & the Win7 NFS client works OK with Celerra NFS server (v 6, anyway)

8.6K Posts

December 6th, 2013 06:00

I think that’s a security feature – if you don’t have access you shouldn’t see who has

No Events found!