Start a Conversation

Unsolved

J

6 Posts

August 25th, 2019 13:00

Chromebook 3100 2-in-1 will not power on until...

I work for a k-12 school we are getting ready to rollout 3,000 3100 2-in-1 chromebooks however, I am noticing that the few that are rolled out in testing are having the same problem where after being in sleep mode for several hours to a few days, they will not power back on until the AC adapter is connected. Once powered back on, the battery shows that it's not dead and in most cases the battery is over 80% charged. Also, when powered back on, chrome will ask if I want to restore tabs suggesting that the standby data has been lost. The behaviour is exactly how that machine acts when in power disconnect mode (used for summer storage and when new)

Just had one do it today that is running chrome OS 76.0.3809.102 - the latest version of chrome os

Anyone else seeing this problem?

1 Message

August 28th, 2019 13:00

You are not alone.

This same thing is happening to our 3100 2-in-1s that we rolled out this fall.  Teachers tell me it almost never the same student/device, but each classroom is having 2 to 5 have to plug in their device each day.  

Devices are running a mix of 75 and 76.

1 Message

August 29th, 2019 05:00

We are experiencing the same issues at IL HS District. Seems like something is triggering these devices to go into "battery cut off" mode. We have sent over the information to our Dell rep and waiting to hear back. 

1 Rookie

• 

5 Posts

August 30th, 2019 08:00

We are experiencing the same issue in my district...we have 750 of the 3100 2-in1 Chromebooks and 500 of the 3100 touchscreens...seeing this issue in both...not happy at all! I'm hoping for an OS update fix, but I'm pretty sure its a hardware issue. Any information you can share would be appreciated.

6 Posts

September 1st, 2019 14:00

In the google admin console under device settings/user settings/Idle Settings, I set the action for idle and lid close from sleep to logoff which appears to have solved the problem. This setting was required to be changed for goguardian admin. Not the best option and I am not sure why goguardan requires this but for now I am going to leave it on and wait to see if dell has a fix for the sleep mode/battery disconnect issue. 

We have also contacted our dell rep who also said they never heard of the problem either lol.

1 Rookie

• 

5 Posts

September 2nd, 2019 08:00

Thank you for the information...I changed our Chromebook settings and will see how things go after this. I will also contact GoGuardian to see what happens with the adjusted idle settings.

Thanks again!

1 Rookie

• 

5 Posts

September 2nd, 2019 08:00

I wanted to add something to the conversation that I observed last week...I now have 4 Chromebooks, all 3100 touch screens, that will not power on at all. I've disconnected and reconnected the battery and still nothing. My Dell rep said to expect some units arrive non-working from the factory, however, I informed him that ALL of these units powered on over the summer when we added them to our domain and set them up. These units are now going back to Dell via return to depot.

Just in case others start seeing this.

6 Posts

September 5th, 2019 06:00

In our 3,000 chromebooks, I did not see any yet that would not turn on. The only issue with power we experienced during enrollment was if the computer where stacked up, some machines would not power on because the magnet from the machine below would trick the sensor into thinking the lid was closed.

For the battery disconnect issue, I can confirm that changing the power mode from sleep to logout solved our issue. We just finished deployment of all our machines and I got zero complaints about the power.

It's only day 2 of school for us so I will keep everyone posted if anything changes.

September 12th, 2019 09:00

I am having this problem as well - around 1200 Dell 3100 2-in-1 with World Facing Camera's.  Some totally die and wont turn back on and many have to be plugged into power to come back alive - usually to nearly full power.  Very frustrating. 

1 Message

September 12th, 2019 10:00

Happening here also. This also happened to my 5190's. On OS ver 74 and now 76.  Very Frustrating. 

1 Rookie

• 

5 Posts

September 14th, 2019 15:00

I have about 1200 (700 3100 2-in-1's and 500 3100 touchscreens) and I have 24 units out for various repairs in less than 3 weeks. Many, many issues with the power cord needing to be plugged in to the Chromebook to power it on. We also now have 8 units that will not power on at all even after a battery disconnect and reconnect. And now I have 6 broken LCD's all in the same spot...lower-left corner of screen on the 3100 touchscreens. Not a good start for these new models!

6 Posts

September 16th, 2019 05:00

I agree 100% we have seen the following problems:

1. Machine will not power on until reconnect to the AC adapter - (Fixed by changing the idle settings in the GAC to log off rather than sleep)
  2. Mouse and Keyboard stops working (gets stuck in tablet mode) 
  3. Mouse won't click/gets stuck. Fixed by flexing the case to unjam the mouse.

8 Posts

September 30th, 2019 13:00

We are getting reports of the 3100 Chromebooks not powering on from our schools and many times it seems that they are extremely slow to load up on power on. 

We have also noticed on some that a power wash will pop up even when the device seems dead, if we prompt it, and that works sometimes as well. 

One of the ones i just worked on had to be power washed 2 times then it took about 2-3minutes before anything came up on the display after power wash. 

I have submitted a ticket with Chromium as well and have posted in another forum to see results others may have. 

October 14th, 2019 07:00

jf12345

have you attempted to change the setting back and if so does it remain fixed or does it revert back to previous issues?  

October 14th, 2019 07:00

KS397106

you have a bug tracker number?  I would like to follow this on there as well!

Thanks!

We are seeing this as well.  

8 Posts

October 14th, 2019 12:00

Since we have a large fleet and it directly impacts students and teachers, I will be unable to revert it to test as we are concerned issues will continue. 

No Events found!