Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

D

December 6th, 2016 06:00

Compellenet SC4020 and SC2020 Drives

Good afternoon,

We have had an issue recently when using 3 known working drives from a Compellent SC2020 in a Compellent SC4020. The drive Part numbers are RWV5D which is a Dell Enterprise Plus 1.2TB SAS 12Gbps 10K drive. The fault we are presented with is below. Please can anyone advise what might be causing this issue? Thank you!

17 Posts

December 6th, 2016 07:00

Hi BVIENNEAU thanks for the hasty response!

To be honest we expected as much. Are there any supporting articles to help us evidence this or to identify compatible drives?

Would this drive have worked if placed in an SC4020 in the first place? We're just a bit confused as to what identifies this as the 'low end' of drives as the spec seems reasonable.

115 Posts

I don't think there is anything publicly available, but in all the Partner trainings I've gone through just say it is how it is and I havent' taken two of the "same" drives and compared them.  

They may be labeling them slightly different as a part number for SCS2xxx vs SCeverythingelse and then in the code specifically allowing only the part numbers.  It could also be slightly different disk firmware, thus the same reason  you cannot just go buy the same drive from a 3rd party that wasn't specifically "made" for the SC series. (this is an industry norm for storage)

115 Posts

That is "as designed" as they would put it. You cannot take drives from a SCv2xxx and put them in an SC system that is higher in the food chain.  (SC4xxx, SC7xxx, SC8xxx, SC9xxxx, etc.)  

They are a different class drives and thus priced accordingly for the price point of the SCv2xxx.  

Don't kill the messenger... ;-)

17 Posts

December 6th, 2016 08:00

That is frustrating ha ha. It'd be really nice to have a compatibility table but no joy!

Really appreciate your time.

Dave

No Events found!