Start a Conversation

Unsolved

P

6 Posts

March 4th, 2019 07:00

Configuring Multiple EMC Storage Manager

We have the SC4020 and SC220 located at two sites, they basically replicate between sites and present the local storage to our ESX hosts.

We have a EMC Storage Manager running on a 2012 Virtual Server in operation (Dell Storage Manager 2016 R3 20) and you also used to be able to connect to the Storage directly using the Virtual IP for the controllers to do things like shutting it down.  I believe the latter option had been removed by Dell and you can no longer connect to the controller directly via a web browser.  This means that the only access i have to the storage is via this one Server located at Site A.  I would like to have a second method of access in case this server was ever to fail.  Is there a way that i can still use the Browser to connect to the Controller Virtual IP.  If not how can i  have a second server or appliance(Is there an OVL Appliance available) at Site B running this software and that won't cause any conflicts with the current EMC server.

117 Posts

March 4th, 2019 07:00

You can still use the Dell Storage Manager Client from a different PC to access the SC controllers directly.  So instead of entering the IP address of the Dell Storage Manger Server, just use the VIP of the controllers like you mentioned. 

The DSM client package can be installed on Windows or Linux if I recall correctly.  I have a similar situation and just make sure I have DSM client installed on a few different machines at different sites so I have my bases covered.

March 4th, 2019 08:00

Excellent I will give this a try, i had it in my head the Client had to connect to the collector server.

Thank You Sir.

• 

7.1K Posts

March 4th, 2019 10:00

Hello paulbarbour,

As bealdrid2 stated, you can install DSM client on any host and use the VPIP to connect to your storage.  Here is a link to the requirements that are needed to install DSM client. https://www.dell.com/support/manuals/us/en/04/storage-scv3020/dsm-2016-ig/dell-storage-manager-client-requirements?guid=guid-ec463e3a-beea-4b81-be1d-9f3a55c15c3c&lang=en-us

Please let us know if you have any other questions.

March 5th, 2019 02:00

Ok that's it working, the login to the storage was Admin rather than admin on Enterprise Manager the passwords where the same and i know i created a second user.  So all good - Thanks you bealdrid2 and Sam greatly appreciated.

March 5th, 2019 02:00

Thanks

I have installed the Client on my windows 10 laptop and i put in the Virtual address of the controllers but it fails, what should the port number be. 

Just working though it and will see what i can suss out.

March 5th, 2019 03:00

One last thought, is this would allow me to shutdown the sites Compellent system without EM and that is great but the reason i thought about this was that i had to do a system shutdown on Sunday and then had the thought that i only have the Enterprise Manager to do so, the previous shutdown i did with the old web gui access, hence me asking about an alternative way to access.

From EM i can suspend replication and i can also set the oldest replay to not expire in this situation.  I notice connecting directly does not allow you to deal with the replication.  Is this only possible from the Enterprise Manager server.

I am thinking of a scenario that will probably never happen but i thought worth asking the question.

4 Operator

• 

1.9K Posts

March 5th, 2019 14:00

The username "Admin" is hardcoded in the SC. If you install DSM Datacollector, formaly known as EnterpriseManager, the installer ask for a username during installation. If youre smart guy you had use "Admin" as well and the same password for both systems. If not.... just document it :) DSM also can integrated into Window AD so the wrong "admin" isnt a big deal.

Replication is always managed by the DSM(EM) and not directly on a single storage.

In the early days you can install a secondary DSM(EM) but i never have uses this. The installer ask if "this" instance is a secondary one. I have no clue what its good for.
We use the VirtualAppliance since 2.5 Years now also for our LiveVolume setups.

The SC4020 comes with a BMC on each controller but Dell advised every customer to modify the IP to a non-routable network like 169.254.0.0. Newer SCs like 3020 and 5020 comes with a iDRAC.

For real DR and Troubleshooting you should cabling the 2 serial cables.

Regards
Joerg

• 

7.1K Posts

March 6th, 2019 09:00

Hello paulbarbour,

You will need to install the data collector on the DR host so that you can manage replication.  Now you only want one data collector running at a time. Once the data collector is installed then you can manage replication just like you can in EM.

Please let us know if you have any other questions.

March 12th, 2019 03:00

Thanks, i did not set it up, Dell did so i guess he missed that one but as you say no big deal and i am aware of it and can work around it.

Thanks for the information on the replication, I suspected EM was the only way to handle this element and i understand that we can have another data collector but it should only be used if the first one is not available.

Thanks for the prompt and helpful response, i have found Dell nothing but a pleasure to work with. 

No Events found!