Start a Conversation

Unsolved

R

4 Posts

August 1st, 2020 05:00

RedHat Reclaim Storage Space SCV2020

I have a RedHat 6.10 with a raw device mapped directory of a SCV2020 storage compellent.

What I delete from RedHat is not released on storage. fstrim -v returns "FITRIM ioctl failed: Operation not supported"

Does SCV2020 storage not support this? And how to free up this space on the Storage side?

• 

6.9K Posts

August 3rd, 2020 10:00

Hello raterista,

That command is not supported on a Compellent system. Here are the steps that need to be done.

Steps

1. Delete any unnecessary volumes and then empty the recycle bin.
  2. Expire unnecessary snapshots.

Once that is done then wait about 15minutes and then check available disk space to see if it has increased.

4 Posts

August 4th, 2020 02:00

Hello DELL-Sam L

In compellent I have 4 volumes and each of these volumes is mapped in RedHat as a disk (sdb, sdc, sdd and sde).

None of these volumes can be excluded.

I didn't understand how to make Storage recognize what was eliminated in RedHat from the sdb, sdc, sdd and sde disks and present this space back to the Storage volumes.

• 

6.9K Posts

August 4th, 2020 09:00

Hello raterista,

1. from RHEL, # fstrim -v /dir1 (this will send SCSI UNMAP command to SCxxxx)
  2. Expire all snapshots and coalesce last snapshot to Active Space. This will remove all space occupied by snapshots and truncate the whitespace.

These are the steps that should release the space on your compellent.  Have you enabled UNMAP on each mounted volume you want UNMAP?

4 Posts

August 5th, 2020 10:00

DELL-Sam L,

RedHat is virtualized on a VMWare ESXi and when creating the "Mapped Raw LUN" disk I used the Virtual compatibility mode. Changing to Physical ran # fstrim -v / dir1 successfully

Is it possible to activate UNMAP in the "Virtual" disk compatibility mode on ESXi?

• 

6.9K Posts

August 5th, 2020 15:00

Hello raterista,

I am not seeing a way to do unmap in virtual disk compatibility mode.

4 Posts

August 7th, 2020 09:00

DELL-Sam L,

I believe it is a limitation of the vmware disk itself in "virtual" mode.

But I appreciate your attention, I will use the "physical" mode.

No Events found!