2 Posts

August 8th, 2021 02:00

SC4020 reset Admin password

Hello,

I can not reset the "Admin" password of sc4020

I followed the following steps but I could not reset it

Tech Tip: Recovering a Locked Administrator Account in
Storage Center OS v6.5
If all accounts are inaccessible because they have been disabled or locked‐out, use this procedure to re‐
establish a local Administrator account and reset passwords.
Prerequisites
This procedure requires a USB device that contains a partition table with one partition formatted with an 
MSDOS/FAT32 filesystem. USB devices vary by vendor as to whether they are formatted with or without 
partitions. Use Windows disk management or other third‐party tools to create a partition if the USB device 
does not have an MSDOS/FAT32 partition.
Steps
1 Create a text file containing the following line of text:
unlock 
where   is typically the Admin username. The Admin account is always on the system and it 
has the required Administrator privileges to reset passwords.
2 Save the file and name it:
unlock.phy
3 Copy the file to a MSDOS/FAT32 formatted USB drive.
Note: Portable Volume  is unavailable during the recovery process.
4 Insert the USB drive into a port on the lead controller. When the media is recognized, System Manager 
allows the specified account to log on.
5 Log on to System Manager using the account specified on the USB drive. The password cannot be blank, 
but any text entered will be ignored.
6 Unlock locked accounts.
7 Reset passwords on accounts.
8 Remove the USB drive from the port.

Can you help me to fix this issue?

Thanks

1 Rookie

• 

2 Posts

August 8th, 2021 02:00

Hello,

I can not reset the "Admin" password of sc4020

I followed the following steps but I could not reset it

Tech Tip: Recovering a Locked Administrator Account in
Storage Center OS v6.5
If all accounts are inaccessible because they have been disabled or locked‐out, use this procedure to re‐
establish a local Administrator account and reset passwords.
Prerequisites
This procedure requires a USB device that contains a partition table with one partition formatted with an 
MSDOS/FAT32 filesystem. USB devices vary by vendor as to whether they are formatted with or without 
partitions. Use Windows disk management or other third‐party tools to create a partition if the USB device 
does not have an MSDOS/FAT32 partition.
Steps
1 Create a text file containing the following line of text:
unlock 
where   is typically the Admin username. The Admin account is always on the system and it 
has the required Administrator privileges to reset passwords.
2 Save the file and name it:
unlock.phy
3 Copy the file to a MSDOS/FAT32 formatted USB drive.
Note: Portable Volume  is unavailable during the recovery process.
4 Insert the USB drive into a port on the lead controller. When the media is recognized, System Manager 
allows the specified account to log on.
5 Log on to System Manager using the account specified on the USB drive. The password cannot be blank, 
but any text entered will be ignored.
6 Unlock locked accounts.
7 Reset passwords on accounts.
8 Remove the USB drive from the port.

Can you help me to fix this issue?

Thanks

4 Operator

• 

1.9K Posts

August 8th, 2021 05:00

The procedure from above is 100% correct and works for a SC4020.  What i have made wrong in the past.

1. Misspelled the hard coded administrator Account named "Admin" (not "admin" or "aDMIN")
  2. Not used the leading controller (its a 50/50 chance)
  3. Windows OS tricked me and create a unlock.phy.txt rather than the unlock.phy
  4. Older and smaller USB sticks works better that a rescent 128GB one

It can be took a few minutes until the system recognize the USB stick. I always work over the Serial rather than the DSM GUI for these steps because the command line gives better feedback.

The USB stick with the unlock command enable the use of every password except a empy "" one. So i always use "mmm" which is also the default password for a unconfigured SC.

Regards,
Joerg

30 Posts

November 8th, 2021 09:00

I need help with this as well. Were you able to solve this issue? Also, i am using Admin/mmm to login.

30 Posts

November 12th, 2021 05:00

USB FAT format worked but FAT32 did not work for what ever reason.

• 

3.7K Posts

June 9th, 2022 13:00

Hello b.chiam,

If the administrative user name and password have not been changed, use the defaults:

Default user name is admin.

Default password is admin (password is case sensitive).

You may also review the post here : https://dell.to/3H77vzs

If the password is lost, the administrative password can be reset through physical access using a special procedure only available by contacting Dell Storage Support.

[Edited by Moderator: please disregard, see next post from Origin3k]

6 Posts

June 9th, 2022 13:00

Hi, i need some help. i tried many times with fat or fat32. swicthing between two controller with the correct file type and 2gb / 16gb usb drive tried also cant login. said password error

any advise will be helpful. tried for 6 hours on 6 controller all said password incorrect. Admin/mmm or Admin/ (no password) , or Admin/ (random password)/ all doesnt work. swicth off and restart with 2nd controller with the USB stick inserted. all cant works

s11.PNGs12.PNGs13.PNG

4 Operator

• 

1.9K Posts

June 9th, 2022 14:00

Hmmm... no.  SCOS always use a hardcoded user name which is "Admin" with a uppercase A.

The DataCollector formaly known as Enterprise manager let you specify an account name.

If you have Compellent around which you have under control you can check the logs within DSM where you can see if you plugin a correct USB stick.

4 Operator

• 

1.9K Posts

June 10th, 2022 03:00

6 Posts

June 10th, 2022 03:00

Hi, i tried many time but cant reset this to default. also cant clean the password with the USB drive (2gb 16GB) tried at both controller (3 different nodes so 6 controller's tried) 

also try with fat format and fat32 format, inside the usb only one file unlock.phy upper case and lower case all tried. do you have alternative advise? thanks

6 Posts

June 13th, 2022 11:00

tried 3 usb stick and the cable was dell original db9 to com 1, the usb was format in fat32. also tried fat format only. i insert top controller. when it failed i tried the bottom controller again also said password error

login : Admin

password: (blank)/mmm/Admin/admin all wont works. 

may i know what you enter the password?

the controller i am using was 8G-FC-4. or it only works on specific controller only?sdsd.PNG

• 

3.7K Posts

June 13th, 2022 13:00

Hello b.chiam,

If you have followed the pdf that Origin3k posted it should work.

Do you have a 4G or 8G USB you can try?

You may need to call into support and set up a case so that an engineer can do a remote session with you to get a look.

6 Posts

July 25th, 2022 11:00

hi i tried 4gb usb 128mb usb <-yes 128mb usb stick

fat format

fat32 format

single controller in one time, or both controller inserted upper one and lower one reboot try each time. same wont works at allIMG_4074.JPGIMG_4075.JPGIMG_4076.JPG

• 

3.4K Posts

July 26th, 2022 01:00

Hi @b.chiam,

Just to clarify, following the documentation, did you create the file using unlock or unlock Admin? And did you check the file extension? 

If you still have the same issue, you may need get in contact with support as Charles mentioned. 

6 Posts

July 26th, 2022 04:00

hi i tried unlock also unlock Admin

tried fat and fat32

also tried upper controller, lower controller

everytime i turn off and wait 5 minutes before tried the next tricks

have 8 controller and 4 node as shown in photo

the Admin/mmm wont works

tried 128mb 2gb 4gb 8gb 16gb usb stick and format them fat fat32 as above

just cant get it unlock, cant be all controller failed to reset?

i also tried to remove the battery next to the controller boot without the battery 

also tried insert 2 usb same time at upper and lower controller.

file extension is correct, not txt is phy

any others solution? this is first time i have issue on reset password on SC4020. others SC i didnt hv this much headaches

No Events found!