Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

January 20th, 2010 09:00

Borcade and license

Hello,

I have a Brocade DS200-B (16 ports) only 8 are used (have SFP),

can I just add SFP to use the others ports or do I need a license ?

How can I see the number of ports licensed ?

More generaly when I get a new switch do I need to introduce a

license to use it ? How ?

Thanks

Regards

Consty

2.1K Posts

January 26th, 2010 07:00

Definitely check your box again for an additional 8 SFPs. If you have a license for the POD 8 port upgrade (POD is Ports on Demand) you should have a total of 32 SFPs for the switch. You might want to check your packing slip as well.

Normally when we order a switch with additional ports the extra SFPS come in a separate box with the license paper in that same box.

2.1K Posts

January 20th, 2010 11:00

Most of the switches out there come with a subset of their full port complement enabled. The initial ports are already configured and licensed with the base purchase of the switch. From there on you purchase port upgrade kits for the switch. These include the SFPs and the license key you will need to get the activation key.

Depending on the model of switch, the port upgrade kits may come in different sizes. The most common I've run accross are the 8 port upgrades, but a few of our switches take a 16 port upgrade kit.

Assuming you purchased the switch through EMC, you would just buy the 8 port upgrade kit for your switch. Once it arrives it will include a Licence key code that you need to activate through Powerlink to get the actual license key (specific to the target switch) to be entered on the switch. You can put the SFPs in any time, but they will not work until the license key is entered on the switch as well.

2 Intern

• 

5.7K Posts

January 21st, 2010 02:00

Haven't done this in ages, but this was exactly how it worked, yes. Very easy indeed ! Buy from EMC !

2.1K Posts

January 25th, 2010 11:00

How did you manage to get away without doing this in ages? Or is someone else doing it now? Our environment just keeps growing and growing and I don't think we could go more than a month without adding ports or switches somewhere in the Enterprise. Mind you, now that we are getting the 5300s we do more port adds and less switch adds. I wish we had these 80 port switches back when we started this!

232 Posts

January 25th, 2010 15:00

Yes, I purchased the switches from EMC, the Connectrix DS-5100B.

When I switch them on and connect I see that they were already licensed

(24 ports over 40). In the box there were 2 documents for licenses, one with

feature name "Entreprise Bundle" and the other one "POD 8-Port Upgrade (4G)",

each having a transaction key for activation.

I would like to confirm that everyting is activated and that I don't need to go about

the process of activation again.

Regards

Consty

2 Intern

• 

5.7K Posts

January 25th, 2010 23:00

How many ports did you purchase ? My guess is 32, so you'd need to license the extra 8 and if you need the enterprise license, you'd need to license that one as well. Normally you only get a switch with the default licenses installed, so that's the 24 you now see.

No Events found!