Start a Conversation

Unsolved

M

3 Posts

February 28th, 2019 20:00

30 year relationship with Dell ended today

A long relationship with Dell with many PC purchases for home, business, family and friends ended today when a tech support service supervisor called me a liar. 

2 years ago I purchased an inspiron laptap with a 32 gb HD for the occasional internet search and email use.  Shipped with Windows 10 and Office 360. Worked ok until MS released a Win 10 update and there wasn’t enough room on the HD to install it. Windows update assistant ran continuously and slowed performance to a crawl. 

Called tech support was told that Dell no longer sold machies with such small drives. I asked about options. I was offered two: turn off updates or attach an external drive and install the new OS there. I opted for the former. The tech remotely accessed my laptop and suspended Windows updates. This lasted about a week. Shelved the machine for a few months. 

Called tech support recently and asked for help installing update to an external HD. Repeated efforts to remotely access the machine failed. Support decided to have me send in the laptop for diagnosis and repair. It was returned within days with a note that said the motherboard was replaced and that was thoroughly tested. I turned it on and after a 2 minute diagnostic test Dell Support Assistant reported there was no bootable device found. I opened the panel and indeed the HD was missing. 

I called tech support to find out how this could happen. I asked for a supervisor. I explained the history and that I wanted a HD of sufficient size to support the WIN 10 update. I was told this was ot possible even though the machine was still under warranty. I asked to escalate this issue to a higher level. 

Got a call today saying that the machine was purchased with a 32 gb drive and that tech support could only replace with the same item and install the OS version that it was shipped with. When I said that wouldn’t solve to problem of the update I was offered no other option other than to buy a new laptop with a bigger drive  

When I asked what happened to my HD and how could the laptop be returned to me without it I was told in no uncertain terms that that error could not happen then I was asked how I could prove that the HD was there when I shipped it. I was stunned. 

I ended the argument with no resolution. This was a conversation with a second level supervisor. And I thought Comcast customer service . 

Goodbye Dell. You win but you lose  

293 Posts

March 1st, 2019 05:00

Yes, you do need more than a 32GB to upgrade windows.  I have a 11.6" from a different manufacture with version 1703, unable to upgrade to ver 1809.  I just leave it there and the updates are for 1709.  That was a huge issue, when everyone was selling the 11.6"  with 32GB.  I never thought about it at the time, a year ago, either.  I never tried doing the external HD for WIN upgrade, as only used for email, surfing, cloud, but still was disappointing.  I think the message was, I am 2GB short of accepting the upgrade.  I checked everything to make sure I had cleared all available space.  

That is another thing, when DELL returned less the 32HD.  They probably didn't have a spare HD, or just didn't prefer to make the customer happy in any some shape or form.  I guess they can carry the big stick and DELL is always right.  I don't blame you for being upset with the events.   Sorry to here of your shortfall.

9 Legend

• 

12.2K Posts

March 1st, 2019 06:00

Actually the 32 GB HD was embedded on the motherboard (soldered on) in models with the 32 GB HDD. If we are talking about the 3452 then there were 2 versions. One with the 32 GB eMMC HDD and another with an actual 2.5" HDD. I am wondering if they shipped the system back with the motherboard that has the 2.5" capability.

https://www.dell.com/community/Laptops-General-Read-Only/Inspiron-14-3000-3452-HDD/m-p/4669161#M864226

3 Posts

April 13th, 2019 15:00

Thanks for that input. Turns out that there is a 32 gb drive on the mother board that the Dell technician failed to format and install an OS before returning it to me. Dell authorized a third party technician to do an onsite repair. He formatted the drive and installed WIN 10. Dell tech support would not admit their error and were not responsive with help to complete the required updates. When I asked for a different service rep that could talk to me during my available hours my request was denied and i was told they would close the service ticket unless I replied promptly. GOODBYE DELL.

4 Operator

• 

5.6K Posts

April 15th, 2019 19:00

@MRC221 wrote:
Thanks for that input. Turns out that there is a 32 gb drive on the mother board that the Dell technician failed to format and install an OS before returning it to me. Dell authorized a third party technician to do an onsite repair. He formatted the drive and installed WIN 10. Dell tech support would not admit their error and were not responsive with help to complete the required updates. When I asked for a different service rep that could talk to me during my available hours my request was denied and i was told they would close the service ticket unless I replied promptly. GOODBYE DELL.

Are you saying you still had warranty for this 2-year old laptop?

I thought the standard warranty was 1 year and did not cover software problems.

It is unfortunate you did not ask questions about this before contacting Dell.

Dell, HP, Lenovo, Acer, ASUS all sell laptops with the 32 GB eMMC hard drives.

They still sell them.

I have owned one from each manufacturer. LOL.

My first was the Lenovo 120S. After I bought it I learned real quick what needed to be done when Windows 10 tries to update.

April 16th, 2019 04:00

I too am getting to that point of not doing business with Dell. This is my third laptop. Before that I had a home computer. The new one I have has Premium insurance on it and I'm glad now that I purchased that insurance but....I'm getting tired of Dell for one reason. Their communication skills are lacking. You would think once you call a rep that a history is created so that if you call again that rep can access the information and pass it on. This is not the case I'm afraid in the 21st Century. We're still sending a little boy on a pony with a note and he's getting lost on the way.....Oh. I don't like Windows 10. Three times I've had that reinstalled. Bill Gates can spend some of that money of his on keeping an operating system that has proven itself instead of developing new ones that keep failing. Seriously thinking about getting an Apple brand and doing away with Microsoft all together.

No Events found!