Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

November 14th, 2016 08:00

Unresolved/Recurring issue with Dell XPS laptop

Hi,

I purchased a Dell XPS earlier this year. There was an issue with the power adapter and I've been working with tech support via service requests

Though the laptop is still under warranty, I was made to pay for fixing it and was told that this issue may be due to accidental damage which is not covered under warranty. While I did not agree to this in principal, I needed this since this is my primary work device.

I shipped the laptop to customer service and after 10 days and no regular correspondence, I finally got it back on last week. Now, I still see the same issue rendering the laptop unusable. When I contacted customer service, I'm now told that I have to again ship this laptop for tech support to check this issue.

This is completely unacceptable, especially having had to pay for fixing this exact same issue and not able to use my device. I was told that Dell also does not provide onsite tech support or even a spare laptop.

I need your help to look into this issue at the earliest and expedite its resolution.

4 Operator

• 

9.4K Posts

November 15th, 2016 09:00

Hi hprasanna84,

Thanks for posting.

Power adapters are considered normal wear and tear items, which is why the repair was not covered under warranty.  Your purchase of the product was your agreement of the terms of the warranty.  If you are still having the same issue even after a factory repair, then you could contact our Unresolved Issues Team for assistance.  Please be sure to include the SR# for reference.  Thanks.

November 19th, 2016 09:00

1. The issue is not with the power adapter but rather with the pin which is part of the laptop

2. The link you provided does not seem correct and takes me to the dell home page. Can you please check?

3. I've already raised a complaint in the unresolved/recurring issues page and I got an automated acknowledgement on 11/12. But I've not heard back on this yet.

4. Below is the latest status. When I contacted Dell, I'm told that the Motherboard needs to be replaced and that they have put my request on hold since this is out of warranty. I had to call them up, clarify why this should be covered under warranty and the fact that I've already paid for out of warranty support. The least I would expect is a callback to confirm the same.

• 11/18/2016 11:47:57 AM: Billable Hold: The repairs required for your unit are not covered by Dell’s Limited Warranty. Please contact Dell Out-of-Warranty Support queue to speak to a representative for additional information: in the US 800.288.4410 or in Canada 866.440.3355.

5. Dell has essentially replaced a significant part of my laptop within a year. If this is the kind of quality I can expect from a supposedly top-of-the-line series, I'm afraid I expected too much from Dell.

The silver lining here is that I've identified these problems before the holiday season. I now know never to gift a dell product to anyone and make them undergo the same harrowing experience of owning a dell product that I'm currently undergoing and interact with an absolute disaster of a customer service.

Thanks Dell.

4 Operator

• 

9.4K Posts

November 22nd, 2016 04:00

Apologies for the link problem.  Here it is again:

http://dell.to/2fmZv1Z

November 22nd, 2016 06:00

Thanks. As I mentioned in my previous post, I have already posted to that last week and got a generic message that this is a technical issue and customer care cannot do anything about it. I'm not really sure what purpose the unresolved issues link serves if all they have to say is that this is a tech issue and I need to contact tech support which is the first thing anyone would do anyway (I don't need someone to tell me that 10 days after I send a mail)

The reason I'm trying to reach out to customer support is -

1. Why is there a repeated failure on a laptop which is still under warranty. I'm dreading the day my warranty expires as I have seen posts in this message saying that the responsibility is now with the customer. That is not a reasonable explanation and does not justify sub par build quality in what is supposed to be the one of of the top dell models. 

2. I thought this forum as well as the unresolved issues forum were avenues that can better serve specific grievances. But apparently, it is only a bunch of additional hoops that I need to jump to get generic responses. So far I've not seen one objective response as to what the issue is, why there are recurring issues (quality control issues?), what is being done to expedite this if indeed this is a rare scenario as Dell claims it to be. If this the engagement model and kind of support I can expect from Dell, please do let me know so that I will learn to live with it.

I only hope you understand what it means to be without a personal laptop during holiday season when everything from planning travel etc goes for a toss.

Thanks,

Prasanna

4 Operator

• 

9.4K Posts

November 23rd, 2016 05:00

What you've been told is true.  Customer Care can not handle Tech Issues.  Tech Support handles technical issues.  

If your case was reviewed and determined not to have been covered under warranty, then please contact the Out of Warranty department for repairs, or possibly a local computer repair shop.  

The link I gave was to the Unresolved Issues Department who can re-review your case to determine if the repair might be covered under the warranty.  They are the escalations team.

No Events found!