Start a Conversation

Unsolved

T

2 Posts

October 10th, 2018 01:00

XPS 13-9370, someone please help

Hello,

Ever since purchasing my Dell XPS 13-9370 laptop, I have had non-stop problems with it. I expected to get one of the fastest, up to date laptops on the market, with amazing specifications, and great performance that i could reliably use for school. Instead, I received a broken computer (a lemon) that I have spent countless hours trying to get replaced or fixed. I purchased the laptop on September 6th, 2018. On September 12th, something went wrong with the keyboard such that I was not able to log-in anymore. I went to a center that was able to "assist" me. They factory reset my computer and told me that it was a software problem. Approximately 6 days after this, the same problem appeared on the computer. I contacted Dell and told them that there was no way that this was a software, or a keyboard problem, as upon logging in, the keyboard worked fine. Several days later, this was no longer the case. I could neither log in, or use the keyboard while logged-in. I used the on-screen keyboard to log on to check if it would work. A week after this had happened, on September 27th Dell finally came and tried to find a cheap fix for this persisting problem. They came and replaced my perfectly good keyboard and track pad with a cheap replacement that was quickly put together without much care whatsoever. I was astonished at how little the technicians cared as to how well it was put together. As I could've told Dell myself, this did not fix anything. The keyboard still did not function.  Leaving my computer still broken, they told me that they would send someone else to replace the motherboard. A brand new computer with a replaced keyboard, track pad, and soon a new motherboard. Someone was supposed to come on Friday October the 5th to work on the laptop, so I spent the entire day waiting at home, waiting for someone to show up to try fix my brand new broken computer and switch out the motherboard. Not only did nobody show up that day, but nobody let me know that nobody was going to show up. I totally understand if something might come up, but at least have the common decency to call and let me know. I then called Dell 3 times that day wondering what had happened.To my surprise, I received a call telling me that they were going to come on Monday October the 10th.The technician came on the October 10th and switched out the motherboard. For anyone wondering, this was not a new motherboard, but instead a refurbished motherboard. I was happy because the computer turned on, and I was finally able to log in. He was courteous but as soon as I told him that the keyboard and track pad that they had installed during the last on-site visit was acting up and did not feel right. He just shrugged it off and told me that everything was working perfectly, which I truly did not believe. I have had enough computers to know when a keyboard and track pad is not feeling right. So, right now, it is more than a month since I purchased my brand new computer, and I am still having problems. I can positively say that I have never been so disappointed upon purchasing something so expensive and being told that there was technically nothing that could be done. I have told myself that I will never recommend Dell computers to anyone in the future, and I myself will refrain from purchasing more Dell products. At this point I am just hoping to get a refund for my lemon because I am exhausted trying to deal with Dell and having a constantly broken computer. I really hope someone can help me with this and just get me my refund. If anyone is actually reading this, I'm sorry for my anger, but from one human to another, I find that this is absolutely absurd, and should never ever be accepted. Especially from a well known company like Dell. I feel like the system has completely left me out to dry, and there is nothing I can do to get my hard earned money back. I'm a student, and all I wished for upon purchasing this laptop was a working computer.

10 Elder

• 

24.8K Posts

October 10th, 2018 08:00

Define the following:

"I told him that the keyboard and trackpad that they had installed during the last on-site visit was acting up and did not feel right."

If one or more keys is not working, that's one thing.  If it's that you don't like the feel of the keyboard - and having used these, I can understand that - it's quite another.  The warranty doesn't cover not liking the keyboard feel -- for that, you had a 30-day return period from Dell (or whatever policy applies from your seller or in your location if it's not Dell USA).  From the sound of it, that's what applies here - and no, the warranty isn't going to cover it.

2 Posts

October 10th, 2018 09:00

To answer your question, 1) The keys are sticking and sometimes when I want to type, the corresponding number, symbol, or letter don't show up, meaning I have to press twice such that it works. 2) The shift, CAPS, Ctrl, Fn, Windows, Alt, and Space bar make a grinding sound when I don't hit the keys perfectly in the center. 3) The trackpad "drags" such that when i click on something after moving to it, it moves off of it as if the movement has lagged. Hope that clears things up for you enj63.

10 Elder

• 

24.8K Posts

October 10th, 2018 09:00

(1) and (2) are related to the keyboard design.  There's literally nothing you can do about this (this is the kind of issue that leads people to return systems that don't satisfy them at purchase).

Keyboards are getting slimmer and slimmer, with less and less travel and feedback.  Everyone is essentially following Apple in this regard, and just look at the design of the butterfly keyboard on the Mac released with the touch strip -- it's pretty much the same as what you'll find in the XPS.  Fast touch typists - look elsewhere.

Unfortunately, there isn't a way to address the keyboard design -- if you don't like it, and can still return the system, do so and buy something else.

No Events found!