Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

November 1st, 2013 07:00

XPS 18 with Haswell - Come on Dell!

I know nobody can reveal any product roadmaps, so I'm not expecting that. I just wanted to somehow let someone at Dell know that there are people out here patiently waiting for a Haswell version of the XPS 18 (i7 with decent graphics chip and SSD for me). The best that I could figure out was to post here. I really can't believe it hasn't happened yet. Haswell was practically made for PCs with the XPS 18 form factor! And now that Sony has improved their Tap 20 with the Tap 21 - Haswell, only 8lbs, 1920x1080 resolution, decent graphic chip options, better kickstand - I'm now becoming less patient with waiting for a Haswell XPS 18. I'd really prefer the XPS 18, but I now have a viable competitor that is tempting me. Come on Dell. The XPS 18 screams Haswell. Please upgrade it soon! 

Thanks.

Community Manager

• 

54.9K Posts

November 1st, 2013 08:00

Did you post this on IdeaStorm?

3 Posts

November 1st, 2013 08:00

Ah. Forgot about that venue. I'll do that!

Thanks.

November 1st, 2013 18:00

I have no answer for you. But you answered my question: what alternatives are there for the XPS 18? I too am tired of waiting, especially in the absence of any official information on time frame or configurations. For all anyone knows, there is no plan to offer XPS 18s with Haswell processors. Perhaps, Dell considers the XPS 18 to be a bargain basement level computer that does not justify a Haswell upgrade. Perhaps, Dell plans to discontinue the XPS 18 after the present inventory is sold. Who knows? Bad first experience with Dell. Too bad there is no company offering custom configuration via the web of a very large, yet light, tablet. Somebody is really missing a trick.

3 Posts

November 1st, 2013 19:00

Well if they plan to discontinue it they ought to announce it (or leak it)... they'd sell their remaining inventory in a flash.

I'd grab one right now if I knew it was 3rd generation CPU or nothing!

2 Posts

November 10th, 2013 01:00

I really liked the xps 18 after seeing it at best buy several months ago. That was until I looked at the specs. So I've been patiently waiting all this time for Haswell. Until this evening at least. Joel, thank you for your post with information on the new Sony Tap 21. I'm going to Best Buy tomorrow to get it.

3 Apprentice

• 

8.8K Posts

November 10th, 2013 09:00

dellbrent,

There are only so many ways you can say the info requested is confidential.

Zb1

3 Posts

November 17th, 2013 17:00

I waited forever for the Dell 18 with a Haswell chip. I just gave up and purchased the Sony Tap 21 with I7 Haswell and Iris video integrated graphics.

All because I wanted the upgraded processor and just got tired of waiting for Dell.

1 Message

November 24th, 2013 11:00

How is it working out for you?

Have also been waiting since August and getting quite impatient, especially with Xmas around the corner!

2 Posts

November 25th, 2013 23:00

Hi Mrothwell,

I gave up on waiting for xps 18 with Haswell and got the Sony Tap 21. I couldn't be more happier with it. Do not waste your time waiting for xps 18 with Haswell. I've since ended up finding out there's obvious reasons why they can't even give an estimate date on when it will be come available like they have done in the past, example Spring, 2014, Fall 2015, etc. There's not going to be one or no plans for one. Hope I was able to help and save you time.

Kindest Regards!

1 Message

November 26th, 2013 21:00

i7 Haswell, 5100 graphics, SSD drive, Windows 8.1, 12GB RAM and I don't have to buy a Sony Tap 21.  Have been patiently awaiting this device to get a Haswell refresh and Dell's complete and utter lack of information is driving me crazy.  I check the web site three - five times a week thinking that this might be the week.  At this point, I'm not spending the $2K on a 6-12 month old chipset that may or may not run Windows 8.1.  I really want to give Dell my money and avoid Sony but like others, I'm getting tired of waiting and tired of the radio silence on the matter.

No Events found!