Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

April 27th, 2015 13:00

Securely wiping EMC CX4-120 drives before donation

We just had a Compellent SC8000 installed, and I'd like to figure out a way to securely erase (DOD multi-pass wipe) the data from the disks before donating or surplussing our old CX4-120.

I came across this old thread, but it's somewhat inconclusive and unresolved: http://en.community.dell.com/support-forums/storage/f/1216/t/18180340

Does anyone else have ideas on how best to accomplish this? Also, I can't imagine there would be any sensitive data that would be on the SAN OS on the first five drives, right?

Thank you for any ideas, folks.

4 Operator

• 

9.3K Posts

April 29th, 2015 23:00

The easiest way is to set up 1 or more raid groups with the max number or drives that a raid 0 supports on EMC (16 off my head). Then create a LUN, set up 1 server with a connection to the CX4-120, put the server and the LUN in the same storage group and use some software from the server to wipe the drives.

The reason for raid 0 is 2-fold; I assume you didn't use raid 0 in production, so the drives will be scrubbed by the array for raid 0, but it also gives you the fastest write times while you are letting the software do the scrubbing.

15 Posts

April 30th, 2015 07:00

Thank you for the post. That's essentially what I'd been deciding to do, based on what I could scrounge up on the internet. Off to destroy some LUNs and RAID groups :)

No Events found!