Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

June 25th, 2015 05:00

Data Domain DD860 Extended Retention upgrade

Hi

I'm about to do a DD860 Extended Retention upgrade and cannot find any documentation that tells me about adding the extra SAS HBA and how to do the cabling. Currently the system has 5 shelves and 2 SAS HBAs. The current SAS cables are attached to Ports 2a, 2b, 3a, 3b

If I look at the EMC Solve cabling document for 6 shelves, it shows shelves 1, 2, 3 and 4 attached to Ports 1b and 3a. And shelves 5 and 6 attached to Ports1a and 2b. Do I have to rearrange the cables or can I just use another 2 ports for the 6th shelf?

Many thanks

Ian

1 Rookie

• 

68 Posts

June 25th, 2015 05:00

Hi,

you should have 1 SAS card on slot 2 and slot 3 - the additional SAS card is added to slot 1.

Before Extended Retention Upgrade:

Set 1 (Shelf 1 to 4) should be connected to 3a (first shelf A Controller HOST port) and 2b (forth shelf B Controller HOST Port)

Set 2 (Shelf 5) should be connected to 2a (Fifth Shelf A Controller HOST Port) and 3b (fifth shelf B Controller HOST Port)

Do you only have ES30 or ES20 Shelves running at the moment?

ES20 and ES30 may not mix.

After Extended Retention Upgrade:

Set 1 (Shelf 1 to 4) should be connected to 3a (forth shelf A Controller HOST port) and 1b (first shelf B Controller HOST Port)

Set 2 (Self 2 to 6) should be connected to 2b (fifth Shelf B Controller HOST Port) and 1a (sixth Shelf A Controller HOST Port)

If i read the Extended Retention Administration Guide and the DD860 Archiver Iinstallation & Setup Guide correctly you need to rearange the cables as mentioned above (and as you already read yourself)

The sixth expansion shelf will we added to shelf 5

Regards,

Patric

Documents:

https://support.emc.com/docu49786_Data_Domain_Operating_System_5.2_Data_Domain_Extended_Retention_Administration_Guide.p…

https://support.emc.com/docu50108_Data-Domain-Install-and-Setup-Guide---DD860-Archiver-DD-OS-5.1.pdf?language=en_US

208 Posts

June 25th, 2015 06:00

Hi, there are 2x install/setup guides for DD's on for NON-ER and an ER one that explains extended retention cabling and SAS card location(formerly called archiver);

https://support.emc.com/docu50108_Data-Domain-Install-and-Setup-Guide---DD860-Archiver-DD-OS-5.1.pdf?language=en_US

Slot 1 is where you add the SAS card to.

NON-ER DD860 is max 192TB raw storage or 12 shelves.

ER DD860 is max 768TB raw storage or 24 shelves.

The rules on some ER systems changed a little while back and I haven't converted a DD860 to ER for a while now, so not certain if it was reduced or not.

But you may also need to the 36 to 72GB memory upgrade if you haven't already got it and the expanded storage license that comes with it.

Active tier and archive tier shelves can share a loop - the link above will guide you to the correct topology.

You still can't share a loop between ES20's and ES30's.

Hope that helps, Jonathan

24 Posts

Hi Patric

You read it same as I do. The cables need rearranging.

All the shelves are ES30 selves.

Thanks for the confirmation.

Regards

Ian

208 Posts

Sorry, I couldn't see the other replies before I posted! weird...

24 Posts

Hi Jonathan

Thanks for your response. For some reason it has not appeared on the forum.

My confusion was about the cabling which has to be moved around. As long as the data is accessible after the move of cables.

Memory is 72GB so no upgrade required. All shelves are ES30’s so no problem there either.

Regards

Ian

208 Posts

June 25th, 2015 08:00

Yep, not sure what happened there... Now it looks like I just duplicated what others had written

DD is great at SAS re-cabling, on any DD you can power off and pull all SAS cables and re-cable them or tidy them to the current config you require (based on the EMC install/setup guide). Sometimes with live addition of storage shelves it can become a little messy and a tidy up is required.

So, in essence you can power off, install your SAS card and re-cable the SAS to the DD860 as though it is a new install as an ER with all your shelves by following the setup guide for an ER system.

It will boot with no complaints...

Well, it should boot with no complaints, there used to be a boot issue when you add a SAS card, suspect it's quite possible that it will impact you.

LSI SAS controller may give your new SAS card boot priority and the DD will fail to boot from DDOS.

There is a customer viewable KB article that will help with correcting this;

Regards, Jonathan

24 Posts

June 26th, 2015 00:00

Hi Jonathan

Thanks you so much for the very helpful information you provided.

Regards

Ian

24 Posts

June 29th, 2015 04:00

Hi Jonathan

I have another question regarding the upgrade.

There are 2 of these systems and they are replicated to one another. I’m planning to upgrade the one on Wednesday and the other on Friday (They are 400km apart).

What happens to the replication? Should I maybe only enable the Extended Retention once both have been upgraded?

Regards

Ian

24 Posts

June 29th, 2015 05:00

Hi Patric

I decided to do the upgrade to the first site on Tuesday but not to set any movement policy and to suspend replication. Then I will do the second upgrade on Wednesday. After which I will resume replication and set the movement policy. That way both sides will be the same.

Regards

Ian

1 Rookie

• 

68 Posts

June 29th, 2015 05:00

Hi Ian,

I think it is depending of the type of replication you are using. If you are using a collection replication then the target system should have the same active & archive tier than the destination system. If you are doing a mTree, Directory or Pool Replication I think you can do the update without any problems. You just need to verify that there is enough space for the replication

But to stay save you can do the Update to Extented Retention at friday and add the shelves to their archive tier remotely.

Regards

Patric

No Events found!