Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

January 13th, 2014 11:00

Estimating the size DD can backup

Hi All,

I am using DD670. Our average DD utilization is around 35%. How much more data can we backup or simply put how much can a DD system store. What is the formula/procedure/way to estimate/calculate how much data a DD can store, this is not straightforward since DD stores data after compression and deup.

Regards

tech88kur

116 Posts

January 15th, 2014 07:00

tech88kur,

Hrvoje Crvelin was correct in stating that it's really hard to tell how much more data you can ingest into your system.  My suggestion would be to slowly add data sources to your system and allow them to backup for a week or so before adding more.  In the meantime, check the daily dedupe ratios and available space.  Depending upon your retention policies you will start to see how much space the data you are backing up is going to utilize.  Adding the data sources slowly and methodically would be your best bet in ascertaining how much your system can store.

116 Posts

January 13th, 2014 11:00

tech88kur,

Please see the DD670 Hardware Guide (Page 6) for Storage Capacity of the DD670:

https://my.datadomain.com/custom-view/doc/appliance/4.9.x/DD670_HW_Overview_775-0149-0001.pdf

DD670.PNG.png

Let us know if you need more information.

2 Intern

• 

14.3K Posts

January 13th, 2014 12:00

tech88kur wrote:

Hi All,

I am using DD670. Our average DD utilization is around 35%. How much more data can we backup or simply put how much can a DD system store. What is the formula/procedure/way to estimate/calculate how much data a DD can store, this is not straightforward since DD stores data after compression and deup.

That's ambitious question which you already answered yourself.  As it is impossible to know what kind of data will further fill up your DD unit, one can only guess if you will remain within realm of existing de-dupe values or not.  If you expect continues growth of data (usually 20% per year is something people like to use) and data types would be same as what you have right now, it would be safe to conclude that you can calculate pre-processed and post-processed ratio and apply that to see how much you can get pre-processed data yet before you reach some 80-85% of usable capacity.  Now, different data types bring different de-dupe values so more file systems will bring better de-dupe rations and more archive logs will decrease it.  Do you have projection for data growth in your company?  You see why this might be good thing now?  Of course, no projection is usually spot on, but it gives some rough estimates and if you get unplanned data you can always push back such request unless they are willing to pay also for extra DD storage (or unit if you face end of the road with existing DD model). So yes, this is not straightforward, but you can make things easier on yourself if you have data growth prediction and some data classification within existing organisation. 

142 Posts

January 15th, 2014 06:00

Dear PatrickBetts,

Although I was not looking for this information, yet this is very helpful to know. Thanks..

I will rephrase the question/query....

My DataDomain device is at an average utilised at 35%.

The scenario now is that more applications'(SAP, Oracle,SQL) backup has to come to Data Domain and I am not sure whether the remaining space would be enough to accomodate it. Or say I do not know how to calculate whether we can support the "coming data", I guess there should be a way to calculate how much a DD can support. Obviously, if DD's  size is 35 TB it will support more than that but how much more?

I hope I have made myself clearer.

Regards

tech88kur

142 Posts

January 15th, 2014 07:00

PatrickBetts,

That was helpful to know.

In that case how do you recommend customers for which capacity DD to use, that must be based on some information based on the current architecture. Am I making sense?

Regards

tech88kur

142 Posts

January 15th, 2014 08:00

Thanks Patrick,

I am also a support guy. I will satisfy myself with it.

Regards

tech88kur

116 Posts

January 15th, 2014 08:00

tech88kur,

I'm sure there are many ways that the pre-sales engineers will calculate storage needs.  It will be dependent upon statistical growth and future needs.  As a support engineer I'm not on the sales end so I don't know much about the process.

2 Intern

• 

14.3K Posts

January 15th, 2014 11:00

tech88kur wrote:

In that case how do you recommend customers for which capacity DD to use, that must be based on some information based on the current architecture. Am I making sense?

Regards

tech88kur

There is tool which is available to EMC (technical presales?) folks.  This is based on general observations on field (in terms of given de-dupe). There many factors you can set there like db compression based on types and similar, but it may not be 100% sure - but it is good orientation to build certain prediction. Of course, if this has been backed up so far (with another tool for example), having compression stats may help as well further.

1 Rookie

• 

68 Posts

January 15th, 2014 23:00

Hi,

you can find the assessment tools in powerlink under

Home > Tools/Resources  >  EMC Data Profiling Assessments   > Tools  > Partner Assessment Workbench Tool

The tool you should look for is "EMC Assessment Workbench" but it may only be available to Partners

Regards,

Patric

No Events found!