Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

May 30th, 2014 00:00

How to back up data domain configuration

Hi there,

I thought it is possible to back up the data domain configuartion (IP configuration, NTP-settings, etc.) I did that before DDOS updates in the past.

But I don't find the button within the GUI anymore.

Can someone help me.

Cheers

Jan

161 Posts

May 30th, 2014 01:00

Hi there,

I gave that a second thought and I'm really not sure if I did that in the past. I may be mix that up with another box or so.

Thanks anyway

Jan

2 Intern

• 

14.3K Posts

I was unaware that was possible, but given that whole config is part of autosupport I always relied on autosupport entries.

208 Posts

Maybe you had EMC EDL before, that used to have a "save configuration" button and "take X-ray" in the GUI.

As above, the Autosupport has everything you need for the configuration.

Regards, Jonathan

7 Posts

June 1st, 2014 18:00

Not possible. I've repeatedly complained about this.  What I did was set-up my own method.

For this you need to set-up the ability to run DD commands remotely using SSH - there is a technote on how to do this. Once SSH is in place you can do a lot stuff with DD command on the remote box and script what you require.  This script is for an older version and requires the mutt mailer to be installed plus sendmail to be configured on the linux box where the script is run. Only tested and run on RHE.   Because upgrades usually alter the output commands its likely to break the -check option.  Should be good enough for a weekly dump of a later version.

#!/bin/bash

# Only applicable for 5.2.x.x

# Obtains the configuration from the Data Domain systems 

# The default action is to get the configuration from the systems and mail to the shared admin mailbox

# Could cron this for a weekly run

# This script will detect configuration changes requires the -check switch 

# If provided with the "-check" parameter this script  will compare the configurations with previously recorded

# configurations.  If they have changed the new configuration is sent to the $CONFIG_RECEIVERS mailbox(es)

# and a change notification is sent to the CONFIG_NOTIFY_RECEIVERS mailbox(es). No change no mails.

# Could cron this for a 1 or 4 hourly/daily run

1 Attachment

19 Posts

June 2nd, 2014 00:00

Hi ,  Jim' script seems nice ,

But you can also as mentioned use the autosupport feature ,

I use this to save the config:

Putty to the DD box: 

Under settings in putty  i log all output  then i login as Sysadmin in DD-box and save output of this command:

#config show all

There you have IP-config , admin access , replication , cleaning  etc.

19 Posts

June 2nd, 2014 03:00

Do not realy see the point by saving audit log information as a part of D/R backup of the DataDomain config system,  You'r script is neat but I think also an overkill for what information JayJay wish to save.

#config show all      answers all the questions the thread-starter asked about,  Backup of IP config and NTP config settings.

Realy dont understand what you mean "it contents can change every time you run it"   If you have made any config changes ofcourse it will show those changes , If you have made no config changes  #config show all   will give you same output every time as designed.

Anyway ... If you come to a point in life where you have to use this information you have backed up and re-install the DD system .. I feel more sorry for your data protected by the DD box then the config it self.   I use this #config show all   as a cheat-sheet if I need to set up several DD systems at the same location.

7 Posts

June 2nd, 2014 03:00

I found "config show all" too basic for what I wanted, plus its contents can change every time you run it.  Being dynamic not useful for detecting change.  With individual commands you eliminate the dynamic components, plus the script output provides provide about 3x the contents of "config show all"   Example - I found somebody creating an admin account when they did not have the authority to do so.  The only problem will when I do a firmware upgrade the script will have to repaired.

Community Manager

• 

7.1K Posts

June 17th, 2014 20:00

Hi Jan,

Please refer to this KB.

How to Back Up Your DD Configuration

Hope this helps!

7 Posts

June 17th, 2014 23:00

The best place I have found the minimum requirements for DR is in the System Controller Upgrade Guide it recommends running autosupport send username@yourcompany.com plus other commands on pages 13 - 16 to record the current config in case of a disaster.  Some of the commands actually stop stuff as a part of the preparation process, probably not a good idea to run those.

Apparently the head swap process saves the config onto external disk in the disk enclosure.  Is there a method of dumping the config  to there as a regular part DR in case the controller dies?  

115 Posts

December 8th, 2014 04:00

We are upgrading DD , could someone please help us know prerequisites and precautions that we need to take care?

2K Posts

December 8th, 2014 06:00

If you are using Data Domain in an Avamar / Data Domain integrated configuration, check the compatibility guide very carefully before you upgrade your Data Domain.

2 Intern

• 

14.3K Posts

December 9th, 2014 01:00

avmaint wrote:

We are upgrading DD , could someone please help us know prerequisites and precautions that we need to take care?

It's all documented in release notes of versions you wish to update.  If using this in combination with Avamar, just as Ian said, be aware of compatibility that needs to be maintained between their respective releases.

156 Posts

December 12th, 2014 09:00

@ avmaint, For Upgrading Data Domain Controller OS, Go through the below document

https://support.emc.com/docu53510_Data-Domain-Controller-Upgrade-Guide.pdf?language=en_US

No Events found!