Unsolved

A

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

January 17th, 2019 13:00

Unable to update firmware, error code RED051

Good afternoon,

We are unable to deploy firmware through OpenManage enterprise. We have a VLAN setup for OpenManage Enterprise and all of the iDRAC ports. Discovery was successful, our firewall has a rule that allows them out to the internet, which is successful as the updates download and the catalog downloads. When we apply the baseline, then try to update firmware, we get an error Message: The network file transfer of an update package was not successful. Message ID: RED051. 

Tried to reboot appliance, same issue. Firewall shows traffic going, nothing is getting blocked.

Any ideas?

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

January 17th, 2019 14:00

Update:

Dell OpenManaged can communicate with the iDRAC as it is populating the appliance, but when we run wireshark between the two, we see tons of TCP Retransmission errors and an attempt to access an SMB2 share on the OpenManage appliance.

We will try moving the appliance/the connection to another server/switch tomorrow to see if that is the issue, but this is affecting all servers, so I can't believe it is a server specific thing, but they are all plugged into the same switch.

No ACLs are present. 

124 Posts

January 18th, 2019 17:00

Same thing here. I have one of a dozen servers where the BIOS just won't update with exactly that message.

I've 1) power cycled (cold boot) the server, 2) emptied iDRAC job queue 3) rebooted idrac. Just won't do it.

1K Posts

January 27th, 2019 21:00

Hi,

To start with could you please confirm if the ports that are required to be open between iDRAC and OpenManage Enterprise for firmware update are open? Discovery needs different ports and firmware update needs another. You can get all the port details from: https://www.dell.com/support/manuals/us/en/04/dell-openmanage-enterprise-tech-release/ome_techrelease_ug/supported-protocols-and-ports-on-management-stations?guid=guid-3226ec7a-8854-4f3d-be3a-3f3b6fcdbb08&lang=en-us

Also, could you please attach the exact error that you are seeing in the appliance when firmware update fails? And which version of appliance are you using?

124 Posts

January 28th, 2019 13:00

OME gives me this:

Running 
Starting communication with the device. 
Checking LC-Service state 
Checking Remote Services availability 
Remote Service is ready. 
Initiated Update Job for DCIM:INSTALLED#741__BIOS.Setup.1-1 with JobId (JID_xxx) 
Job status for JID_xxx is Failed 
Message: The network file transfer of an update package was not successful. 
Message ID: RED051 
Deleting the job queue 
Delete Job Queue was successful 
Deleted Job Id:JID_xxx
Task Failed. Completed With Errors. 

And LC this:

JCP042 Unable to run the (installation or configuration) job JID_xxx because The network file transfer of an update package was not successful..
RED051 The network file transfer of an update package was not successful.

Using Wireshark I can see that the CIFS access to OME results in ACCESS DENIED:

Create Request File: 12\22\output\25446\FOLDER05328926M_1_BIOS_CVHH4_WN64_1.6.12.EXE
Create Response, Error: STATUS_ACCESS_DENIED

Both OME and idrac are located on the same network, no firewalls.

Tried removing and readding the server to OME, same thing.

1K Posts

January 29th, 2019 23:00

Thanks for the response. Couple of more questions:

• Are other servers in the same network working fine for update?
  • Is the failing server somehow different than other servers? Like in server generation, iDRAC fw, etc?
  • If you check the iDRAC firmware version of the failing server, that will help

13 Posts

January 31st, 2019 11:00

I'm having the same issue with pretty much all of my hosts... from various models... R740, FC630, FC640, et al... I can see the LC log showing that the OME 3.1 server logged in... I see that it had the LC initiate a download... and that the transfer was unsuccessful.  

2019-01-31 12:49:18 JCP042 Unable to run the (installation or configuration) job JID_489605501371 because The network file transfer of an update package was not successful.. 
2019-01-31 12:49:18 LOG007 The previous log entry was repeated 1 times. 
2019-01-31 12:49:17 RED051 The network file transfer of an update package was not successful. 
2019-01-31 12:49:15 RED110 Downloading the FOLDER05352966M_1_iDRAC-with-Lifecycle-Controller_Firmware_FDMV1_WN64_3.21.26.22_A00.EXE update package.

There are NO firewalls involved... no network ACLs... this is just simply not working.

1K Posts

February 1st, 2019 05:00

Please check if the ports required for performing firmware update are open between iDRAC and OpenManage Enterprise. You can get the port details from https://www.dell.com/support/manuals/us/en/04/dell-openmanage-enterprise-tech-release/ome_techrelease_ug/supported-protocols-and-ports-on-management-stations?guid=guid-3226ec7a-8854-4f3d-be3a-3f3b6fcdbb08%E2%8C%A9=en-us

13 Posts

February 1st, 2019 13:00

@DELL-Pupul M wrote:
Please check if the ports required for performing firmware update are open between iDRAC and OpenManage Enterprise. You can get the port details from https://www.dell.com/support/manuals/us/en/04/dell-openmanage-enterprise-tech-release/ome_techrelease_ug/supported-protocols-and-ports-on-management-stations?guid=guid-3226ec7a-8854-4f3d-be3a-3f3b6fcdbb08%E2%8C%A9=en-us

Yeah... as I stated... there are NO firewalls involved.  There are no network ACLs involved.  This is wide open and not working.

1K Posts

February 3rd, 2019 22:00

At this point in time, i will have to request you to raise a support ticket, so that the support guys can take a closer look at your system and figure out what is going wrong. The number to be used is 8-0-0-9-4-5-3-3-5-5. I have put in this format so that it does not get pulled out from the post.

11 Posts

February 11th, 2019 01:00

Hello,

any news on your side ? Are you still stuck with firmware upgrades ?

124 Posts

March 2nd, 2019 09:00

If it is me who you're asking then: Yep.

First they swapped the mainboard... Now the problem is with updating iDRAC and no longer with updating the BIOS. That was unexpected.

We are currently debugging OME together with support. We have seen that the SMB credentials in the OME DB are correct and that the update file is correctly held in the CIFS share on OME. We can successfully connect to the CIFS share manually. Alas, iDRAC still does not connect:

The network file transfer of an update package was not successful.

I'm excited to find out what the problem will be in the end.

BTW sorry for not replying earlier but the community is not sending me email notifications on replies although I have enabled them.

Cheers.

124 Posts

March 9th, 2019 17:00

After hardware replacements, lengthy webexes and whatnot, support has confirmed (my problem at least) as a bug which will be addressed in OME 3.2 (tentatively due in June).

No specifics were given. It does not appear to be anything related to a specific firmware or platform, but rather an issue in OME.

Workaround if this occurs is to manually upgrade firmware in the meantime ....

11 Posts

March 11th, 2019 08:00

Thanks a lot for the feedback.

Hopefully it should be fixed in a few months.

Meanwhile, manual updates through iDrac are not so convenient, but they are at least working fine.

1 Message

March 14th, 2019 08:00

I have exactly the same issue... Lets hope 3.2 is released soon...

1 Rookie

• 

37 Posts

July 9th, 2019 03:00

I was also seeing this issue >20% of the time. Having upgraded to OME 3.2 I have since only seen this issue once out of 700+ updates. Has it fixed things for everyone else?
No Events found!