Start a Conversation

Solved!

Go to Solution

131 Posts

January 20th, 2021 06:00

Broadcom Windows 64bit driver update for NetXtreme Ethernet adapters, 21.6.1 - 2012 Server OS NOT Compatible

Broadcom Windows 64bit driver update for NetXtreme Ethernet adapters, 21.6.1

Why does OM Essentials detect this for Windows 2012 Server in OME but per the download this OS version is NOT supported?  Trying to download directly to server and install gives same error not compatible with OS.

This is the error when trying to deploy via OME:

"The Update package cannot be executed under the current operating system"

https://www.dell.com/support/home/en-us/drivers/DriversDetails?driverId=261X3 

Broadcom 2012_2.JPG

Broadcom 2012.JPG

Current OME Catalog:

Broadcom 2012_3.JPG

131 Posts

February 1st, 2021 07:00

@Dell-DylanJ 

The release date of 1/31/2021 (Release ID 50Y43) has resolved this issue!

50Y43_OME.JPG

4 Operator

• 

2.9K Posts

January 21st, 2021 07:00

Hello,

Unfortunately, OpenManage Essentials is an unsupported product now. I'll see if I can turn up an answer for you, but I can't promise that it would lead to a resolution, simply because Enterprise is considered as the product that replaced Essentials, as opposed to something developed in tandem. As for the issue, did you detect the target server through SNMP, or did you have OpenManage Server Administrator installed?

131 Posts

January 21st, 2021 07:00

It is detected via SNMP which uses OMSA on the end server.  I've found its not just NIC drivers but also others such as PCI NVMe drivers, etc.  My issue is that on the download page it clearly does not list 2012 server OS therefore WHY is this included in the CAB file from Dell as an update?

As in other posts on forums (many complaints) OM Enterprise is not equal to OM Essentials hopefully the engineering team enhances and brings back the OM Essentials capabilities in OM Enterprise.

131 Posts

January 21st, 2021 10:00

Thanks...the catalog definitely needs to be looked at for correct OS combabilities 

Here is a Dell Express Flash NVMe P4500/P4600 PCIe SSD FW release that is NOT compatible with 2012 R2 OS that I discovered as well.  Link clearly shows OS is not listed but does show in OMEssentials.

https://www.dell.com/support/home/en-us/drivers/DriversDetails?driverId=CR0HC 

Here is a PERC H740P Mini Driver that is NOT compatible with 2019 Server OS as it shows in link ONLY for 2016 Server OS

https://www.dell.com/support/home/en-us/drivers/DriversDetails?driverId=78M5Y 

Is it possible for you to POST to this thread with any update and/or when catalog might be updated to fix this?

4 Operator

• 

2.9K Posts

January 21st, 2021 10:00

It's looking like the problem is with the catalog file. I'll get this submitted today on my end. If I were to make an estimate, I'd say check it the week after next. I'll have my own process I have to follow to submit this as a defect, so I figure the team that can fix it will have the information next week. That's not a time guarantee, just an estimate on my part.

The catalog should have come out very recently, but I'm not sure if that will affect how quickly we can get it corrected.

4 Operator

• 

2.9K Posts

January 21st, 2021 11:00

I can absolutely set up a reminder to check on this. Communication from engineering to support is usually fairly limited, but when we're talking about something that is more an error than a feature request, there can be a bit more conversation. Let me give them until Feb 2 (Tuesday after next), so they've got a full week (and I don't expect to get a response on a Monday). I'll take whatever info I get and update the thread at that time, if that'll work.

131 Posts

@Dell-DylanJ 

Well I found that the update fixed the driver and PCIe SSD drive compatibility issue from original POST,  however I see a new compatibility issue on other updates with this latest catalog.  Please advise after reaching out to your engineer dept. to notify them.

IE: Openmanage iDRAC service module.  Current version 3.1.0 upgrade version 3.6.0.  This is a 2012 Server however that OS is NOT supported per Dell link to patch

https://www.dell.com/support/home/en-us/drivers/DriversDetails?driverId=HXH78 

OME.JPG

OME.JPG

4 Operator

• 

2.9K Posts

Good morning, 

I was actually just about to reach out to you to say that I had just reached out to my systems management contact about this. I can't really speak to the new claimed incompatibilities, since your message was the first I've heard of them, but I think I may be able to get the catalog looked at again.

4 Operator

• 

2.9K Posts

February 2nd, 2021 15:00

I haven't looked at the catalog myself, but what I'm getting back in regard to the iSM is that it's treated as a firmware, instead of a driver and that it doesn't have an OS specified to it at all. While it wasn't tested, it may run in the OS environment you have. 

Based on what I've been told, this doesn't seem to be considered a defect in the catalog.

131 Posts

February 3rd, 2021 04:00

@Dell-DylanJ The ISM and OS collector both installed successful on the 2012 Server OS so all is good.  The last CAB (package) looks to have resolved the original issue.

thank you for coordinating that!

131 Posts

February 4th, 2021 11:00

@Dell-DylanJ 
I found another FW that won't apply from catalog OR when downloaded directly to server and tried.  This is due to this is NOT compatible with 2012 R2 Server OS.  The link from dell to this fw update doesn't show 2012 R2 server OS.  Please have team update catalog to remove items that aren't applicable to OS.

xccan52bkp01_1.JPG

xccan52bkp01_2.JPG

xccan52bkp01_3.JPG

xccan52bkp01_4.JPG

https://www.dell.com/support/home/en-us/drivers/DriversDetails?driverId=CR0HC 

4 Operator

• 

2.9K Posts

February 4th, 2021 15:00

You're right to say that this package isn't supported by your OS. I took a look at the link you shared and grabbed the image below. I wouldn't expect it to run based on this, but I do understand your point about it being offered through the catalog and then not running. However, taking the feedback I'd gotten in regard to how they think of the iSM as a firmware with no specified OS, this package in question is also firmware package, which would also have no specified OS. 

I'm more than happy to pass this along all the same, but I did want to have this expectation set up front.

131 Posts

February 5th, 2021 05:00

@Dell-DylanJ thank you for passing that along.  The catalog should be set to pick up what is applicable and what is not.  If you look at older versions on dells website for the pcie SSD drive older versions are also NOT supported by 2012 R2 server OS so this has been like this for a while per my patch list.  Perhaps they can write a update for that server OS.

thanks again for your assistance - Much appreciated!

4 Operator

• 

2.9K Posts

February 5th, 2021 15:00

The information I got back is that they don't consider it a defect. As for writing a firmware that would support the OS, I can certainly (and it never hurts to) ask, but I would also expect that to be a longer project. I suspect they would treat this similar to a feature request, as opposed to more of a break/fix issue with the catalog. I only mention that because I'm able to get break/fix communication a little easier. I just bring that up because I don't expect to hear back from them and I don't want you to think I took your feedback and absconded with it.

No Events found!