Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

December 10th, 2014 11:00

Dell N2048 switches issue

We have two Dell Networking N2048 switches currently in our environment. In OME, they are shown with an exclamation mark in the yellow triangle and the link to the web interface is http://0.0.0.0 I have setup a custome URL for each but wanted to know if there is an actual fix for this since the warning triangle just bothers me.

Thanks

2 Intern

• 

2.8K Posts

December 10th, 2014 15:00

Interesting...ok, well it looks like there is a bug in the link-launch for the element manager on that type of switch.

Can you tell me what f/w version you have on that switch?  Is it the latest?

But....I don't think the bogus URL is the cause of the Warning indicator.  It's possible the health attribute in the SNMP MIB is reporting warning.  That's what we report with that indicator.

When you bring up the element manager on that switch do you see any health indicator?

Thanks,

Rob

16 Posts

December 11th, 2014 04:00

Firmware on all is 6.1.1.7 latest looks to be 6.1.2.4. I can upgrade it this weekend.

Nothing obvious is shown in the element manager. Everything appears normal.

2 Intern

• 

2.8K Posts

December 11th, 2014 07:00

Ok, thanks.  Do let us know how things appear after the firmware upgrade.  Be sure to re-discover/inventory the device.

Thanks,

Rob

December 11th, 2014 10:00

Ideally, the one-to-one element manager (Dell OpenManage Switch Administrator in this case) should report the overall health of the switch. It also reports the component level health so that the end user can take appropriate corrective action. If the element manager is not reporting this information, questions can be asked in this forum: [View:en.community.dell.com/.../4454:550:0]

Common reasons behind a switch reporting abnormal health:

1. Issues with power supply (if dual, both are connected).

2. Link, interface or port failure.

3. System rebooted because of hardware watchdog failure.

4. System rebooted because of software fatal error condition, etc.

Please let us know if the firmware upgrade does fix the issue. Alternatively, you can confirm on the above mentioned issues with the target switches.

16 Posts

December 17th, 2014 07:00

All switches have been upgraded to the latest firmware. I deleted them from OME and rediscovered with no change. Any suggestions on what to try next?

December 17th, 2014 20:00

Also, please check if non of these is a reason:

1. Issues with power supply (if dual, both are connected).

2. Link, interface or port failure.

3. System rebooted because of hardware watchdog failure.

4. System rebooted because of software fatal error condition, etc.

16 Posts

December 18th, 2014 04:00

I have checked all switches, two N2048 and two N3048 units and there are no errors indicated on any of them but all are showing a warning in OME. 

1K Posts

December 18th, 2014 05:00

Did firmware upgrade had no impact?

16 Posts

December 18th, 2014 05:00

The firmware update had no impact at all. Same situation.

December 18th, 2014 06:00

It is unfortunate that the upgrade or any of the other suggestions did not help in sorting out the issue. OME fetches the health status from switch SNMP agent. It is clear that the agent is reporting warning health (could be because of an error or predictive error condition). I would request you to take this question to following forum (for Dell Networking): en.community.dell.com/.../networking

They will be able to give more insights on why the switch SNMP agent is reporting abnormal health when nothing seems to be wrong with the switch setup.

No Events found!