Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

February 4th, 2015 07:00

Strange discovery behavior - multiple machines with same name

I have a very strange issue with a new 2.0.1 install of OME.

I have discovered a few hundred servers, but about 45 of them keep overpopulating a single record so they do not display separately.  What I mean is, if i discover/re-discover one of these machines, the name that keep getting used will simply get overwritten with a different serial number and machine type.  So, discovery is working, but for these machines, they simply overwrite the same record.  It's very strange and I can't find a reason for it.

If i choose to rediscover or inventory any of these machines, the single record is overwritten with the machine information of the machine I selected.  So, if machine name "JOE", a 2950, has serial "4SKWS1P" and I try to rediscover one of the affected entries, machine "JOE" will now show that machine, maybe an R210 and different serial number.

Do i have DB corruption or is this something someone else has run into?  I am using generic SNMP discovery and all my machines have the same SNMP community names/configuration since I updated them all via script.

Thanks!

2 Posts

Thanks for the quick response!

These machines are all over the world so there is little chance of any MAC collisions.  We typically do not have reverse DNS zones for remote sites so a ping -a simply returns the IP address of the machines in most cases. 

The only thing I did notice along the lines of your vMAC comment was that the original machine that I saw this occur on was a Hyper-V cluster, so I assumed the two H-V hosts were getting combined into one.  The individual names of these machines never appeared, but OME did treat them like a cluster.  I have since deleted those machines as I figured it was one cause of the issue (and the machine that retained the static name that keeps getting repopulated).

One other thing is that the repeated name is a piece of our DNS zone (the first segment after the machine's NETBIOS name).  I figured this was part of the puzzle...

Thanks

2 Intern

• 

2.8K Posts

Hi and thanks for the post.

Sometimes folks will see this if they have some error in DNS or they've made recent changes.  When you do "ping -a" on several of the servers do you see unique fully qualified names?

Also, sometimes folks will have duplicate virutal MAC addresses that might be shared across more than one device and that can cause them to get clobbered in discovery.  Can you look at all the MACs and virtual MACS associated for a few of these devices and confirm?

Thanks,

Rob

delltechcenter.com/ome

No Events found!