Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

April 9th, 2012 10:00

System Update Task hangs - no progress

I've got an issue with a particular server, where no matter what Updates I choose for a System Update Task, the task will just hang on 0% saying "The task is in progress for the target device" with no details.  It will stay like this for hours and hours with no progress.  The event viewer on the target server shows nothing.  What can I check on the target server for troubleshooting?  (Assuming OME is not the issue since other updates to other machines work fine)

Other pieces of info: Network Issues shouldn't be a problem, as we have other servers on the same subnet, same switch even, that receive the updates just fine.

For this server, inventory shows as 100% correct. so it is talking with OMSA.

April 9th, 2012 13:00

On the MN, I am unable to delete the directories as I get errors that files are in use (MN is a Domain Controller).  As far as the MS steps, after typing in the command on step 2, it just hangs.  No error, no anything.  If i restart the task manager service, it will stop but then refuse to start.  I rebooted the MS and repeated the steps with the same results.

2 Intern

• 

2.8K Posts

April 9th, 2012 13:00

Thanks for the post.  Can you review and give the following steps a try?

Rob

--

Assuming the Managed Node (MN) is windows:

On MN:

1.       Go to Start->Run type “temp”, this should open Windows/Temp directory. Delete the contains of Temp directory.

2.       Go to Start->Run type “%temp%”, delete the directory

On Management Station (MS aka OME box):

1.       Open command prompt

2.       Run "C:\Program Files (x86)\Dell\SysMgt\Essentials\bin\omremote.exe" -com=wmi -user=[username] -pswd=[password] [ipaddress] omreport system summary

3.       Step 2 will make sure we are able to successfully connect with MN and omremote on MN is responding to commands.

4.       Restart the Task Manager service.

After the above is successful you can reschedule the patch task.

2 Intern

• 

2.8K Posts

April 9th, 2012 14:00

Can you try the Dell Troubleshooting tool to see if you can make a good WMI connection to the MN?  (the tool is on your OME desktop).

thx

Rob

April 9th, 2012 14:00

Rob, thanks for help so far.

I just ran the test, and it was succesfull, with Windows and Dell Server Agent Namespaces coming back as "Present".

Community Manager

• 

711 Posts

April 10th, 2012 09:00

Thanks for the update. Another thing to check would be the following readme entry:

* Remote Server Administrator command line task may not respond for Server

Administrator running on Microsoft Windows 2008 and Microsoft Windows 2008 R2.

To enable the successful functioning of remote Server Administrator CLI and

software updates/deploy features, ensure the following (applicable to Microsoft®

Windows® only)

The managed system and the management station must be on the same domain or there

should be a trust relationship between the two domains.

If you have a Windows Firewall configured on the management station or the managed

system, make the following configuration changes to enable remote Server

Administrator CLI and software updates to work successfully.

Management Station:

1. Open TCP port 135.

2. Add the application "omremote.exe" (located in Essentials\bin)

to the Firewall exception list.

Managed System:

If you have the Windows firewall configured, enable remote administration by

running the following command in the command prompt:

"netsh firewall set service RemoteAdmin"

For more information on connecting through the Windows

firewall, see Microsoft's MSDN website for Platform SDK:

Windows Management Instrumentation (Connecting through Windows

Firewall) at

"

"

For Windows Server 2008 onwards, see the following link:

"

Regards

Abhijit

Community Manager

• 

711 Posts

April 10th, 2012 10:00

Thanks for the update. One more thing to try would be restarting OMSA services on managed node. If that doesn't help, you might have to open a ticket with services so that they can gather additional logs and information.

Number is 800-945-3355 .

April 10th, 2012 10:00

Thanks for the reply, unfortunately, those do not apply as we do not have the firewall enabled for internal communication (each server is part of the same domain, no firewall between them).  Also, the MN is server 2003.

No Events found!